Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
William Ockham
Enthusiast
William Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Help improve Kindle ebook formatting

I am developing some CSS snippets for KF8 to enable device detection from within Kindle ebooks. The most obvious use case for this is for authors who wish to display color graphics on the Kindle Fire family of devices while displaying greyscale graphics for the E Ink Kindles. I will be placing this CSS in the public domain when I've verified that it works properly.

I am using CSS media queries that depend on the hardware on the device. That means that I cannot test these on the Previewer and I do not have access to every KF8-compatible Kindle device. I am looking for volunteers to load the attached .mobi file on their Kindle and report the results. I have already tested this on my Kindle Keyboard, a Paperwhite, and a first gen Kindle Fire.

I'm looking for folks who have a non-jailbroken Kindle 4, Kindle 4 Touch, Kindle 5, second gen Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD 7" or Kindle Fire HD 8.9". You need to know how to sideload a .mobi file on your device.

When you open the attached file (which is the first chapter of Moby Dick), you should see something like this:

Chapter 1: Looming

This is a Kindle eInk device (K3, K4, or K5)

device pixel ratio: 1.0

device-height: 800

device-width: 600

Call me Ishmael....

Obviously, the correct device and hardware results should be displayed, i.e. if you have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9", the second line will say "This is an 8.9 inch Kindle Fire HD."

I would greatly appreciate it if a few folks would load this file and reply back to this thread with the results. I especially need to know if any devices report incorrect results. For example, the first gen Kindle Fire does not report device-height or device-width.

What do you get for participating this research? My gratitude and the warm fuzzy feeling of helping to improve the quality of Kindle ebooks. Participants will be listed in the credits (CSS comments) as testers, if they wish.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi KF8DeviceDetection.mobi (164.9 KB, 261 views)
William Ockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
That's very cool!

Attached are screen shots from my Kindle Touch and Paperwhite. I also sent to my Kindle Keyboard and it is the same as KT. The KT is running the latest firmware (5.3.2.1) while the PW is still on 5.3.3 (there is apparently 5.3.4 as of a couple of weeks ago).

I also sent it to Kindle for Android, my Fire (1st gen) and Kindle for iPhone. The first two report:
This is a Kindle Fire (non-HD).

Kindle for iPhone doesn't support CSS apparently, and doesn't say anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_03_29T20_00_30-0700.png
Views:	429
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	103656   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_03_29T19_59_56-0700.png
Views:	385
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	103657  

Last edited by tomsem; 03-29-2013 at 11:18 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
Ephemerality
Addict
Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ephemerality ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1
Kindle for PC results (since it hasn't been mentioned yet):
Code:
This is a Kindle Fire (non-HD)
device-height: 900
device-weidth: 1600
Unfortunately the only actual devices I have are the PW and the Keyboard, which weren't part of the list!
Ephemerality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemerality View Post
Kindle for PC results (since it hasn't been mentioned yet):
Code:
This is a Kindle Fire (non-HD)
device-height: 900
device-weidth: 1600
Unfortunately the only actual devices I have are the PW and the Keyboard, which weren't part of the list!
That's odd. My Kindle for PC 1.10.1 (40262) reports:

Code:
This is a 7 inch Kindle HD
device-height: 1024
device-weidth: 1280
What's your K4PC version number?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
And... not totally unexpectedly my K4PC v1.10.1.40262 reports differently
Spoiler:

Name:	K4PC v1.10.1.40262.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	103684
and my Kindle for Android v3.8.2.4 partially reports
Spoiler:

Name:	Kindle for Android v3.8.2.4.png
Views:	351
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	103685
and my Kindle Previewer v2.8 reports the 47 Heinz varieties depending on which device is emulated.

Last edited by PoP; 03-30-2013 at 10:48 AM.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
William Ockham
Enthusiast
William Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipseWilliam Ockham can illuminate an eclipse

Yes, the Kindle apps that are KF8 compatible will report different results based on the actual hardware of your machine. The results for the apps will often be misleading because the media queries I'm using are tuned specifically for the Amazon devices. I suppose I should have been clearer about that.

I would really like to know if my CSS correctly identifies KFHD devices. Is there anyone out there who has one? Know someone who does?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Ockham View Post
Yes, the Kindle apps that are KF8 compatible will report different results based on the actual hardware of your machine. The results for the apps will often be misleading because the media queries I'm using are tuned specifically for the Amazon devices. I suppose I should have been clearer about that.

I would really like to know if my CSS correctly identifies KFHD devices. Is there anyone out there who has one? Know someone who does?
I have the Fire HD 8.9 but, wouldn't you know, I just left on a trip and will not be able to test it until Wednesday. Surely, someone will volunteer before then.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Is there anyone out there who has one? Know someone who does?
posting a new thread on the dedicated sub forum may help
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
William Ockham
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
posting a new thread on the dedicated sub forum may help
Good advice. I will do that.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
I have Kindle Fire HD 7. It just says

This is a Kindle Fire (Non-HD).
device pixel ratio:1.0
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
William Ockham
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
I have Kindle Fire HD 7. It just says

This is a Kindle Fire (Non-HD).
device pixel ratio:1.0
Well, that is unfortunate. I really appreciate this. It is a bit shocking to me that the Kindle Fire HD doesn't support media queries for device-height, device-width or -webkit-device-pixel-ratio. Back to the drawing board for me.

At least I have a way to distinguish between color and E Ink. That's probably the number one use case for this stuff.

Hoyt, would you be willing to try another test file or two? I could DM them to you when they are ready. There a number of other potential media queries that I could use, but I had settled on these as the most likely to work.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
I'm looking for folks who have a non-jailbroken Kindle 4,
Didn't see anyone reporting this device yet. It shows:
Code:
This is a Kindle eInk device (K3, K4, or K5).
device-height: 800
device width: 600
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
William Ockham
Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for their help. I have got this figured out now.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
Joseph R
Zealot
Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kobo Glo HD
perhaps one more... Kindle for Mac:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-03 at 4.42.57 PM.png
Views:	412
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	103887  
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote