Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
a wall charger for irex dr1000s?

i recently bought from DealExtreme a wall charger for ipods , it is a clone of oroginal , and it states on it it 1A and 5Vs. i used it to charge the ipod for a couple of times with no hassle , and i used it one DR1000s as well , but i noticed that when it is plugged , the LED on top of reader glows orange , and at least 2-3 touch keys become green too. they are on the side , and usually to two bottom ones are constantly green. should i be worried about battery of my device?
i warn you , i never used a wall charger for this device and always used USB port of my macbook , so these things might be normal and i am not aware of it.
so should i pull the plug literally?
cheers
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
The orange LED is normal: that indicates charging.

The issues you mention have been reported with several other chargers as well, see the accessory list: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48256 . It seems to make the device unusable while charging, but AFAIK no other side effects have been reported. I.e. nobody knows whether this damages device or battery, but there is no direct evidence that it does.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
you can probably use it to charge your DR1000. But if you want to use your DR1000, you better disconnect the charger, because it is disturbing the micro controller that is controlling the cap sensors. If it's one of those cheapo cheapo USB chargers, you also better check if the output is really 5 V... I've seen so called USB chargers that output 7.5V or are designed for a specific load.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
KingDani
Zealot

thnx to both of you guys , it's a bit reassuring . as for the charger , i can not be sure , since i do not have the necessary equipment to measure the output. but it looks fairly usable and it's not the worst one i've seen. in fact it was 2times more expensive than regular ones (like 6 USD) and it was advertised as ipod safe , so i decided to use it. i also looked into ebay auctions , but there was just one guy who sells non-oem chargers and the specs are the same with this one. anyway , i never use my device when charging , so you reckon it's ok?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDani View Post
so you reckon it's ok?
Not sure anyone can say, without testing the charger.

Many USB chargers don't follow the specs. Even though they may say they work fine with one device (iPod, for example), that doesn't mean that they will work correctly with the DR1000. Some devices are designed with wider specs than others with regards to the charger.

I think that messing up the cap sensors is a pretty good sign that something is not right, and it isn't charging with the same output that the DR1000 was designed for. Is that enough to damage the device...
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
KingDani
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Not sure anyone can say, without testing the charger.

Many USB chargers don't follow the specs. Even though they may say they work fine with one device (iPod, for example), that doesn't mean that they will work correctly with the DR1000. Some devices are designed with wider specs than others with regards to the charger.

I think that messing up the cap sensors is a pretty good sign that something is not right, and it isn't charging with the same output that the DR1000 was designed for. Is that enough to damage the device...
yeah , you probably are right shaggy . wise as always. i was kinda looking for for someone to say what i want to hear. anyway , i must try other ones or go for an official one.
thnx anyway
Old 07-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #7
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
@KingDani - you know this forum so why haven't you bought one of the compatible chargers that are listed here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48256
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote