Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
mamawe
mamawe began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360°
Moy, J.: RFC2328 - OSPF Version 2. v1. 19 Mar 2013

This is an internet standards track protocol, taken from tools.ietf.org and formatted as an EPUB ebook.

It describes the routing protocol OSPF Version 2.

This version uses reflowable text.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub rfc2328.epub (117.4 KB, 538 views)

Last edited by mamawe; 04-05-2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: new version (fixed paragraphs cutted by linebreak)
mamawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
While it's great to see this being done, have you tried to read this on an actual eReader?

On my Kobo it basically works as a document with a line break at the end of every line; what I mean is I see
Code:
    OSPF recalulates routes quickly in
the face of topological changes
    utilizing a minimum of routing
protocol traffic. OSPF provides
    support for equal-cost multipath.
I was expecting to see more of an actual conversion to a real, reflowable, ePub rather than what I can only describe as a textual PDF version.

I also hope the plans are not to upload ALL RFCs as separate documents; they will drown out other material in the ePub library.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
mamawe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
While it's great to see this being done, have you tried to read this on an actual eReader?
Actually I did try it on the Pocketbook 360° (it wouldn't even break the lines, so I had to choose the smallest font), on an 10' Android tablet with CoolReader (this is OK) and FBReader (here the ASCII-Images collapes) and with the Epubreader-Addon for Firefox (this is also OK).

Quote:
I was expecting to see more of an actual conversion to a real, reflowable, ePub rather than what I can only describe as a textual PDF version.
This would mean using another source for the HTML-File (for instance https://pretty-rfc.herokuapp.com/) or generating the HTML by myself from the TXT version.

The version from Pretty-RFC would flow nicely (except the ASCII-Images) but I would probably have to sort out copyright issues. Apart from that it does not have the page information that is maintained between TXT and PDF. I would like to retain the original page breaks and make them work in the EPUB, so that these three formats are more similar.

Generating the HTML from the TXT version would mean that I could have more options for the formatting but would also mean a lot of more work.

Quote:
I also hope the plans are not to upload ALL RFCs as separate documents; they will drown out other material in the ePub library.
That is certainly not my plan. First I try to generate useful single RFC EPUBs and later make collections of RFCs to certain themes, trying to make the hyperlinks between the embedded RFCs working. All ot these on demand.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Take a look at http://tools.ietf.org/ebook/ and http://tools.ietf.org/ebook/rfc.epub in particular.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
mamawe

A new version is out

Quote:
Thanks for the URLs. I did take a look and then made another version of the EPUB with reflowable text. This version does not take the HTML files found in the ebooks provided there, because I didn't like the navigation inside those HTML RFCs.

Instead I made a new HTML file from the plaintext RFC to get full control over the navigation links.

Could you please have a look at this version.
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Looks good. A few things jumped out as I paged through it.

Section 1.2
Non-Broadcast networks
Second paragraph not indented.

Designated Router
Paragraph break after "has a Designated Router. The Designated" and also second paragraph not indented.

Section 4.4
Non-broadcast lower-level protocol-support
Paragraph break after "dead neighboring router may be"

Section 4.5
Paragraph break after "capabilities in Database Description packets. A"

I found the ascii art diagrams hard to read, but not much I can think of there, unless you were to embed them as images in the ePub?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
mamawe

Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Looks good. A few things jumped out as I paged through it.

I found the ascii art diagrams hard to read, but not much I can think of there, unless you were to embed them as images in the ePub?
I will look into these in the next days. The paragraph breaks come from page breaks in the plaintext version. I'll try to remove page breaks first and look if that helps. Otherwise I'll try some heuristic and look if a period ends the paragraph.

At the moment I have not many ideas regarding the ascii art diagrams.
Maybe a bold font could make it easier to read them. Maybe some of them could be rendered with ditaa or something similar.

Last edited by mamawe; 03-30-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
mamawe

I've just uploaded a new version.

This fixes the paragraphs cutted by pagebreaks.

At the moment I have no idea for the term lists. In the CSS these are formatted as
Code:
p.term { padding-left: 5em; text-indent: -5em }
The paragraphs that are not indented are
Code:
<p>...</p>
If I would change them to
Code:
<p class="term">...</p>
the first line would be outdented like the previous paragraph.

Tags
ietf, internet, ospf, rfc