Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Re-Published Series of Best Science Fiction

A month or so ago, I came across a superb list of "best" science fiction going all the way back to H.G. Wells' The Time Machine.

It was from a publisher, who was printing the books as a themed series. I can't remember the publisher or the name it gave to the series of re-printed books. Does anyone know it?

I refer to Hugo & Nebula Awards for reading ideas, but they only go back to mid-twentieth century. This list provided a nice review of the genre from its beginning (if you think of Wells as the beginning).
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yay! I found it!

SF Masterworks series, by Gollancz.

However, it's not the end-all, be-all list that I recalled. Funny how memory works. I find the list useful for the titles from the 1800's through 1960.
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Ahh, from the Golden Age... before science fiction was studied in high schools or colleges (or even allowed through the doors)
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:20 AM   #4
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I took a creative writing class by Jack Williamson in 1973. He was a old man then and very gracious. He gave me a lot of encouragement. I wonder if he was the first to write about dismembering people for their organs?
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
Kevin8or
Guru

I hadn't heard of him, so I looked him up. I might give "Legions of Space" a try. Thanks.

Quote:
I wonder if he was the first to write about dismembering people for their organs?
These days, isn't that called "journalism?"
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
I took a creative writing class by Jack Williamson in 1973. He was a old man then and very gracious. He gave me a lot of encouragement. I wonder if he was the first to write about dismembering people for their organs?
There was a book callled "Frankenstein"...

Didn't that involve cobbling up other's organs ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote