Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
NightBookworm
NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.NightBookworm is that somebody.

Device: Kindle
Anybody else want a WIDER iPhone instead of a taller one?

So it looks like all signs point to a taller iPhone 5. I never really understood why they decided to go taller. I understand you could rotate it to make it wider but still, when I look at the Galaxy 3, a wider screen really "pops" and helps. Just my two cents. Was wondering how everybody else feels.
NightBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'd like a bigger screen but I think taller and wider will be needed unless they just trim the edges on the existing size (and I think that will only allow a 3.8-4" screen). Some of the rumoured phone appearances are just hideous, and the superlong and skinny look is just out, for me, I'll be buying a second hand 4S instead, eventually. I looked at the Samsung Galaxy S3, and its too big (for me). Yes, the screen looks really great, but the handling (for me) would be too awkward. I hope Apple never goes that far.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think it is already a 3 to 4 ratio. Any wider and it would be square, in more ways than one. Yuk.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:56 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBookworm View Post
So it looks like all signs point to a taller iPhone 5. I never really understood why they decided to go taller. I understand you could rotate it to make it wider but still, when I look at the Galaxy 3, a wider screen really "pops" and helps. Just my two cents. Was wondering how everybody else feels.
The iPhone has a wider screen (in terms of aspect ratio) than the S3. The iPhone is 4:3, the S3 is 16:10.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #5
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Im split. On one hand a bigger screen would be nice, but on the other hand, the iPhone is big enough already. Id love to see them have the screen closer to the edges.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iPhone has a wider screen (in terms of aspect ratio) than the S3. The iPhone is 4:3, the S3 is 16:10.
Harry; iPhone 4s screen is 3:2 (960 x 640) - iPad is 4:3. iPhone is still wider than the S3 in portrait, but not by much.

Peter
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Harry; iPhone 4s screen is 3:2 (960 x 640) - iPad is 4:3. iPhone is still wider than the S3 in portrait, but not by much.

Peter
Thank you - my mistake. For some reason I thought that the iPhone was 4:3. Thanks for putting me right.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Having held a few larger phones, I don't think I would want one. My eyes are bad enough that I need glasses regardless, so I'd rather stick with a size that fits easily in the front pocket of slacks and a screen my thumb can traverse.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Having held a few larger phones, I don't think I would want one. My eyes are bad enough that I need glasses regardless, so I'd rather stick with a size that fits easily in the front pocket of slacks and a screen my thumb can traverse.
Yes, I agree. A friend of mine has a Samsung Galaxy Note, which has a 5" screen, and it's just too big, in my view. He loves it, though, so whatever floats your boat .
Old 08-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
^This. I don't want anything larger.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
The S3 fits my front pocket just fine.
Going back on topic, I agree with keeping the iPhone's current sized with maxed out screen from edge to edge.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Yes, I agree. A friend of mine has a Samsung Galaxy Note, which has a 5" screen, and it's just too big, in my view. He loves it, though, so whatever floats your boat .
One of the neat features of the SGN is the one hand keyboards. It helps with the extra width.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen1.png
Views:	157
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	90027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen2.png
Views:	153
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	90028  
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
The S3 is 16:9 (1280x720). Most Android tablets are 16:10 (1280x800, 1920x1200).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
immapestomaniac
immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.immapestomaniac is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPhone
Good question! I'm wearing glasses and I think, generally, a bigger screen would be a little more helpful, especially on iBooks and strategy games. Though any complaints and whining don't always cross my mind when I hold my iPhone. I'm quite contented with this sweet device's size!
immapestomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #15
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Yes. One of the reasons I haven't switched to iPhone is the screen size. The other is the lack of proper predictive text. I quite like the SG3 screen size, and have also considered the Samsung Galaxy note. They say the new version coming out soon might have an even larger screen, which might tip it over for me into too large.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote