Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Young Adventures by - Mildred Wirt

Mildred Wirt Benson, writing as Carolyn Keene, was famous as the creator of Nancy Drew. Mrs. Benson passed away in 2002, so her works don't qualify for inclusion here at MobileRead. But Nancy Drew fans might enjoy the exploits of Nancy's older 'cousin,' Penny Parker. Writing as Mildred Wirt (at the time) she produced seventeen Penny Parker Mystery Stories, which are (in order):

1. Tale of the Witch Doll
2. The Vanishing Houseboat
3. Danger at the Drawbridge
4. Behind the Green Door
5. Clue of the Silken Ladder
6. The Secret Pact
7. The Clock Strikes Thirteen
8. The Wishing Well
9. Saboteurs on the River
10. Ghost Beyond the Gate
11. Hoofbeats on the Turnpike
12. Voice from the Cave
13. Guilt of the Brass Thieves
14. Signal in the Dark
15. Whispering Walls
16. Swamp Island
17. The Cry at Midnight

Penny had all the required elements for an independent teen sleuth: a mother only present in sainted memory, a father distracted by work, a rattle-trap automobile complete with sassy side-kick best friend, and a cub reporter beau to save the day when needed. She's not the type to battle gangsters or chase foreign spies, but any con men who want to take advantage of the poor locals had better think again!

Now, don't ask me to explain the intricacies of US copyright law; I am definitely the wrong person! But these novels have been available for download at Project Gutenberg for some time:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/sear...y=penny+parker

And here's where we encounter a mystery worthy of Penny's attention: the first two volumes in the series have DISAPPEARED!!! Yes, it's The Mystery of the Elusive Epubs! Both Tale of the Witch Doll and The Vanishing Houseboat have, well, VANISHED! They were there before; I know I downloaded them. (In fact they're still available from http://manybooks.net/, but who knows for how long?) And will the rest disappear as well?

I honestly do not know. What I do know is that these are fun, easy reads with engaging characters, well "Wirt" you time! Grab them while you can.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
See here:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.cult...lunteers/17158

Manybooks has at least one of them. (I only checked one.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #3
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Just the first two and not the rest? That's peculiar.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote