Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2014, 12:53 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Kobo Market working directly on Sony T2

I don't see any official announcements but, as mentioned in another thread, Kobo's Bookstore is now working directly on my T2. I downloaded one free eBook, a couple previews and one free eBook with DRM. All worked. So far I haven't bought anything, but I plan to explore the market and try a title to make sure payment system works. The bookstore is kind of bare-bones. Comes up with "Today's Top 50 eBooks" and a Search Bar. No categories, no way to refine or sort search results, but it does work. For all I know, that's how it works on Kobo eReaders also -- so maybe it is finished. At any rate, the T1, T2 and T3 appear to have a built-in market again. When I "buy" a book it shows up in my "purchased" bookshelf and it's just a matter of downloading it.

Should also mention that the T2 is still on clearance for $30 (Factory Refurbished with one year warranty) at TigerDirect. Now that it has a built-in store again, it might be worth it. (You will have to update the firmware to the latest available, otherwise I think it still goes to the Sony Store.)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...017&CatId=6847

EDIT: The FAQ at Kobo now says the following about Sony Readers ...

Quote:
Can I continue using Sony's Readers and Apps to buy eBooks?

In the days following the Reader Store closure on June 16, an update to the WiFi Readers and Reader for PC/Mac software will be available. Once you apply the update, you'll have access the the millions of titles in the Kobo Store right on your Wi-Fi Reader (PRS-T1, PRS-T2 and, PRS-T3) from Sony and from Sony's Reader for PC/Mac software.
(Emphasis mine.)

So I guess Kobo was going to announce that the Kobo Store was up and running with the new Sony Store closings -- tomorrow?

Last edited by rcentros; 06-16-2014 at 01:08 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
In what way does the Kobo store update change the look of the two Sony home screens?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
In what way does the Kobo store update change the look of the two Sony home screens?
It simply replaces the Reader Store logo with a Kobo Store logo. The update also removes FaceBook Setup on the Applications Page -- so you have one less choice after the update. Inconsequential to me (as I don't use FaceBook), but this was advertised as a feature when the T2 was originally sold.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
They still need to work on it.. for example:

1. I can't find a way to determine if the ebook will work for my reader (can't see if the ebook has DRM to allow it to be read on my T1)

2. When I do a search, I can't scroll or turn to the next page for additional search results.

Last edited by wachuko; 06-16-2014 at 01:56 PM.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
1. I can't find a way to determine if the ebook will work for my reader (can't see if the ebook has DRM to allow it to be read on my T1)
Why would the book need DRM to work? DRM free books work just fine on Sony devices.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Why would the book need DRM to work? DRM free books work just fine on Sony devices.
Because I just bought three books from Kobo and none of them worked on the T1 due to protection issues.

Part of the email that I received from Kobo:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. We are happy to assist you..

You contacted us today because you are unable to transfer the previously purchased books to your Sony eReader.

Unfortunately, the books you have purchased do not have the DRM Button. Therefore you are unable to transfer these books. If you have a Kobo eReader you would be able to download them via WIFI.

However we will process a refund for you.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Because I just bought three books from Kobo and none of them worked on the T1 due to protection issues.

Part of the email that I received from Kobo:
That means the books you bought were only in kePub format and there was no separate ePub download (a button you click to download in your library on their site). That doesn't mean the book has to have DRM, just that it needs an ePub download option (at least that's how I'm reading things). At least that's what I'm getting from their email (which seems poorly worded). For example you mentioned Baldacci in a different post so I looked at The Target. If I add the preview to my library it doesn't show any download options (either Adobe DRM ePub or Download ePub) which means it's kePub only which is Kobo's house format.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
wachuko
eBook Worm

Quote:
That means the books you bought were only in kePub format and there was no separate ePub download (a button you click to download in your library on their site). That doesn't mean the book has to have DRM, just that it needs an ePub download option (at least that's how I'm reading things). At least that's what I'm getting from their email (which seems poorly worded). For example you mentioned Baldacci in a different post so I looked at The Target. If I add the preview to my library it doesn't show any download options (either Adobe DRM ePub or Download ePub) which means it's kePub only which is Kobo's house format.
Correct...

The process via the T1 is still not user friendly. It is not easy to determine available formats and, like in my case, you can end up buying and downloading something that would not open in your reader.

Searching with results that go beyond one page does not work...

And yes, based on the replies to my questions, from their customer care team, it looks like English is not their first language.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
2. When I do a search, I can't scroll or turn to the next page for additional search results.
I can't help you on the DRM as I haven't run into the problem yet, but when I do a search I move from page to page with "page turn" swipes. The keys don't work but swiping the screen does. (At least on the T2.) You can also turn pages on the Synopsis by using the screen swipes. It's not as sensitive as "swiping" while reading book, however.

Maybe this is why Kobo hasn't said much about it yet, maybe they're still working on it.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
wachuko
eBook Worm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
...when I do a search I move from page to page with "page turn" swipes. The keys don't work but swiping the screen does. (At least on the T2.) You can also turn pages on the Synopsis by using the screen swipes. It's not as sensitive as "swiping" while reading book, however...
That worked!! Thank you.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
alstein
Enthusiast
alstein began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
I don't see any official announcements but, as mentioned in another thread, Kobo's Bookstore is now working directly on my T2. I downloaded one free eBook, a couple previews and one free eBook with DRM. All worked. So far I haven't bought anything, but I plan to explore the market and try a title to make sure payment system works. The bookstore is kind of bare-bones. Comes up with "Today's Top 50 eBooks" and a Search Bar. No categories, no way to refine or sort search results, but it does work. For all I know, that's how it works on Kobo eReaders also -- so maybe it is finished. At any rate, the T1, T2 and T3 appear to have a built-in market again. When I "buy" a book it shows up in my "purchased" bookshelf and it's just a matter of downloading it.

Should also mention that the T2 is still on clearance for $30 (Factory Refurbished with one year warranty) at TigerDirect. Now that it has a built-in store again, it might be worth it. (You will have to update the firmware to the latest available, otherwise I think it still goes to the Sony Store.)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...017&CatId=6847

EDIT: The FAQ at Kobo now says the following about Sony Readers ...

(Emphasis mine.)

So I guess Kobo was going to announce that the Kobo Store was up and running with the new Sony Store closings -- tomorrow?
I also noticed that I was able to view books on the Kobo site on my Sony T2. However, I couldn't find a button that would let me access my account and my library. So, for example, if there is a book that I purchased a couple of weeks ago on the Kobo site on my PC, I wasn't able to access my library so that I could download that book wirelessly to my Sony T2 Reader.
alstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstein View Post
I also noticed that I was able to view books on the Kobo site on my Sony T2. However, I couldn't find a button that would let me access my account and my library. So, for example, if there is a book that I purchased a couple of weeks ago on the Kobo site on my PC, I wasn't able to access my library so that I could download that book wirelessly to my Sony T2 Reader.
I found all my online Kobo books by going to Bookshelves --> Purchased Content. That seems to function in the same way that "Cloud" or "Archived" functions on Kindles and Nooks.

To access your Store account information -- after going to the Store -- hit the Menu Button and you'll see a My Account choice. But there is still no way of knowing if the book download is in kePub format or not. I don't know how Kobo handles kePub books -- on their website is there always a choice between kePub and ePub? If so, it should just be a matter of forcing Sony devices to download the ePub version.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
alstein
Enthusiast
alstein began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
I found all my online Kobo books by going to Bookshelves --> Purchased Content. That seems to function in the same way that "Cloud" or "Archived" functions on Kindles and Nooks.

To access your Store account information -- after going to the Store -- hit the Menu Button and you'll see a My Account choice. But there is still no way of knowing if the book download is in kePub format or not. I don't know how Kobo handles kePub books -- on their website is there always a choice between kePub and ePub? If so, it should just be a matter of forcing Sony devices to download the ePub version.
Thanks for the information. Not too intuitive. It never occurred to me to look beyond the Kobo bookstore icon.
alstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
For example you mentioned Baldacci in a different post so I looked at The Target. If I add the preview to my library it doesn't show any download options (either Adobe DRM ePub or Download ePub) which means it's kePub only which is Kobo's house format.
I just tried this downloading the preview of this specific book on my T2, and it worked without issue. Does that mean they now have an ePub version of it?

(I'm pretty ignorant about Kobo's Store. Sorry.)
Old 06-18-2014, 12:15 AM   #15
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
wow interesting thread
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote