Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #46
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Arthur C. Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
The golden age of SF has not quite made it into PD, with the exception of a few books and stories. Harry Harrison has a few books that can be found, Clifford Simak also has a few stories. The most famous author that has something for free is probably Isaac Asimov, whose story "Youth" is available as a free download (I've got it but havent read it yet).

I'd really like to see Arthur Clarke and Heinlein released to PD, but under current laws its not gonna happen. At least Heinlein has some books released by the publisher as ebooks, Arthur C. Clarke has nothing released as such.

Vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's not so. In the UK, at least, pretty much all his books are available as eBooks, published by Gollancz.
i get 47 books in kindle format at the usa amazon web site
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #47
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
There are a lot of great ones. I still have to go with Burrough's Mars series, though I have a soft spot for his Carson of Venus books too.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #48
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i get 47 books in kindle format at the usa amazon web site
I stand partially corrected. When I look at the amazon (USA) site, I do see a couple titles by Arthur C. Clarke. None of his classics though with the exception of The Fountains of Paradise. I've been waiting for the Space Oddyssey series, Childhood's End, Rendezvous with Rama, and his collected short stories.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #49
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
There are a lot of great ones. I still have to go with Burrough's Mars series, though I have a soft spot for his Carson of Venus books too.
If you liked ERB's venus series then you might want to try;

Otis Adelbert Kline's Venus series.

Similar in style and setting. A nice light read.

You can get an omnibus created by HarryT by following the link below.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21236
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
I stand partially corrected. When I look at the amazon (USA) site, I do see a couple titles by Arthur C. Clarke. None of his classics though with the exception of The Fountains of Paradise. I've been waiting for the Space Oddyssey series, Childhood's End, Rendezvous with Rama, and his collected short stories.

Vic
All of those are available in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #51
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
As the OP I want to thank everyone for their comments... my reading list has grown as a result of your comments.... Thank you for posting..
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #52
Dimwit
Connoisseur
Dimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo
For a very good series that's all free try Bruce Bretthauer's Family Saga. Do a Google for him. Any of his stories are good.
Dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #53
Dimwit
Connoisseur
Dimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo
For another try Fel. Usually far more fantasy with a furry twist but his Subjugation series is very well done.
Dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:31 AM   #54
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
First thanks to all. A couple of very interesting books ended up on my TBR list.

Quote:
i bought the kindle version from amazon back in the summer of 2009 and [re]read it immediately. i didn't notice any problems other than it was a topaz file
As a topaz file read on the Kindle or any Kindle App you will see roughly an exact duplicate of the book they scanned it from.

Quote:
yikes, that's awful, perhaps you could buy the kindle one and using calibre and apprentice alf, get it converted to your format of choice
Converting as you suggest will convert the underlying (unproofed) OCR of the Topaz file (used for search and dictionary lookup) which is not perfectly related to the book you read on the Kindle. The OCR may be very good but it has not been proofread for errors. So the conversion may be as error filled as the Tor version referenced earlier by WillAdams.

Of course any new android based ereader that can be rooted most likely could use the Kindle App to read the perfect Topaz version.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #55
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I just want to point out that some of the classic stories at Gutenburg like E.E. "Doc" Smith's Triplanetary and Skylark are early magazine versions of stories that were later reworked for paperback publication.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I just want to point out that some of the classic stories at Gutenburg like E.E. "Doc" Smith's Triplanetary and Skylark are early magazine versions of stories that were later reworked for paperback publication.
Yes, I said pretty much the same thing earlier in the thread - eg post #34.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #57
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Oops, I thought I had read the whole thread but it looks like I skipped a page.

Of course this doesn't mean that the magazine versions aren't worth reading.

There can be some changes though. The magazine version of Triplanetary was reworked to be a prequel to Smith's Lensman series.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #58
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool topaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
As a topaz file read on the Kindle or any Kindle App you will see roughly an exact duplicate of the book they scanned it from.

Converting as you suggest will convert the underlying (unproofed) OCR of the Topaz file (used for search and dictionary lookup) which is not perfectly related to the book you read on the Kindle. The OCR may be very good but it has not been proofread for errors. So the conversion may be as error filled as the Tor version referenced earlier by WillAdams.

Of course any new android based ereader that can be rooted most likely could use the Kindle App to read the perfect Topaz version.
actually i read it later (again, yes i like it) as a converted mobi and it seemed to me it had converted just fine (had none of the problems i've seen in a pdf conversion). maybe i was just lucky, but the topaz version of glory road also (imho) converted just fine
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #59
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
actually i read it later (again, yes i like it) as a converted mobi and it seemed to me it had converted just fine (had none of the problems i've seen in a pdf conversion). maybe i was just lucky, but the topaz version of glory road also (imho) converted just fine
Most of the time I have seen very good conversions from the underlying OCR and have bought topaz versions and converted them as you suggested. But since the OCR is not proofread you never know what you are going to get until you try it.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #60
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Nobody mentioned Peter Watts yet. I put his Maelstrom right up there among my favorite freebies. That Rifter trilogy was entertaining and disturbing. His also-free Blindsight was a more difficult read for me, yet still good.
I was just about to come here and post about Watts. I loved the Rifters Trilogy, and I appreciate Peter Watts' philosophy about his books. They are all available from his website.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote