Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Moving from a Sony Touch to the Kindle 3 - questions and anything I should know

Hi

I originally posted this in the Kindle forum, I was advised to post it here instead.

I have caved today and ordered the Kindle 3. I like the idea of it being lighter, easier to read with the better screen, and larger storage space.

I currently use a Sony Touch and a Sony PRS505 (I could never get the SD card option to work with either of them). I use Calibre to load my books onto my Sony devices.

Most of my books are in RTF Format, with a few PDF's and a few epubs. I have no DRM on anything.

I don't plan to buy any books from Amazon, just upload the ones I have. I have a few questions I was hoping this forum could help me with.

1) I have been advised on another thread that I can use Calibre to convert all my files to mobi. Is it that simple? Or is PRC better?

2) Do I just link the Kindle to Calibre as I do the Sony devices, and send to Device?

3) I assume I will have to upload the mobi version into Calibre so I will have two versions of the same book in Calibre, or do in remove the RTF/PDF/epub version, just leaving the mobi version in Calibre, and will the mobi version go on the Sony If i needed to reload the book onto my Sony?

I only have one PC so I only have one Calibre library.

I would also be grateful for any tips and advice anyone else can offer me please, as I want to start getting my library ready, I currently have nearly 800 books in it to convert. I already have the books in collections.

Thanks very much

Josie
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
It really is that simple! Just convert your books to mobi, connect the new kindle and send to device. When you convert, it should be two forms in one book so there is no need to delete to avoid duplicates. If you do get duplicates, because you download the types separately, you can merge them into one file. I love being able to do that! Have fun!
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you so much
Old 07-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
1) I have been advised on another thread that I can use Calibre to convert all my files to mobi. Is it that simple? Or is PRC better?
It's that simple.

Quote:
2) Do I just link the Kindle to Calibre as I do the Sony devices, and send to Device?
Yes.

Quote:
3) I assume I will have to upload the mobi version into Calibre so I will have two versions of the same book in Calibre, or do in remove the RTF/PDF/epub version, just leaving the mobi version in Calibre, and will the mobi version go on the Sony If i needed to reload the book onto my Sony?
Calibre is about managing books, not files. You'll have one version of the book but it will exist in two (or as many more as you want) different formats. Calibre picks the proper one for the device you're transferring it to.

So you don't want to delete anything; just keep a version for each device.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:45 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Your Sony can not use Mobi files so don't delete the Sony compatible versions of the book (RTF/PDF/epub) from calibre after you convert it to Mobi.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you both for your replies, you have made me a very happy person.