Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 02:23 AM   #61
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Yes the dictionaries are made up of html pages, and the links work if you use a browser to read the html pages on your PC. But the Kobo does not support the links.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #62
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Yes the dictionaries are made up of html pages, and the links work if you use a browser to read the html pages on your PC. But the Kobo does not support the links.
Thanks, ShellShock. At least I now have a "better" dictionary.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #63
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
I can't find a way to update dictionaries without the official software, that I don't want to use because I don't want to waste my time reinstalling the old firmware (I don't like 2.5.*) with all the addons I added it in the meanwhile.

I tried the change the language, and to add the dictionaries to a KoboRoot.tgz, but nothing.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #64
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
I can't find a way to update dictionaries without the official software, that I don't want to use because I don't want to waste my time reinstalling the old firmware (I don't like 2.5.*) with all the addons I added it in the meanwhile.

I tried the change the language, and to add the dictionaries to a KoboRoot.tgz, but nothing.
If you add them to /mnt/onboard/.kobo/dict/ of KoboRoot.tgz, it should work. But since .kobo is on the user partition, you can copy it directly.

As for staying on the old firmware, you can replace in the files /etc/init.d/rcS and /usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb the string "KoboRoot.tgz" by e.g., "xKoboRoot.tgz". Don't forget to remove the upgrade folder, before you install any hack via xKoboRoot.tgz.

Last edited by tshering; 06-03-2013 at 01:37 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #65
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
If you add them to /mnt/onboard/.kobo/dict/ of KoboRoot.tgz, it should work
No it doesn't

Quote:
As for staying on the old firmware, you can replace in the files /etc/init.d/rcS and /usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb the string "KoboRoot.tgz" by e.g., "xKoboRoot.tgz"
? why should I modify the name of the update package inside rcS?
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #66
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No it doesn't

? why should I modify the name of the update package inside rcS?
To prevent updating to a new Firmware.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #67
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
No it doesn't
What does not work? Is the NEW dictionary automatically again replaced by the old dictionary?

Last edited by tshering; 06-03-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #68
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Ah, I see! Thank you, I'll try it
Old 06-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #69
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

I have still not "updated" the dictionaries, but since I looked for something inside the db I tried to change the isSynced column value to `true` inside the `Dictionary` table... it doesn't work. The firmware doesn't signal you any more that dictionaries must be synced, but it doesn't install them. I also tried to change the Installed column and the language again (and reboot every time). So it seems it's not sufficient to copy the archives to .kobo/dict to install them, even if inside the db the dictionary will be marked as Installed.

I also tried to update the Size column without success. I noticed that my Italian dictionary has a wrong db Size value but it works anyway.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #70
tshering
Wizard

How do you decide whether a dictionary is installed or not? Does the dictionary not work. Generally, copying the zip to .kobo/dict/ is enough. At least with earlier FWs, the dictionaries worked even if there was no corresponding entries in the db. I did not check, but I guess this has not changed with recent FWs.
As far as I understand it, the db entries are/were only to tell the device whether to download a dictionary from the server or not. They do/did not effect the usage of the dictionaries.
Edit: There seems to be some differences. Under FW 2.4.0 the Italian definition dictionary needs Installed as "true", the Japanese definition dictionary does not care about it. I did not check the other dictionaries.

Last edited by tshering; 06-10-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #71
Arkon
Arkon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
The new dictionary works wonders, but I have one little problem. Sometimes I get several pages of dictionary for one word, and the pop up window of the dictionary is too small. Is there a way to increase the size of the dictionary window, so that I won't have to scroll pages too much while in the dictionary?
Arkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #72
tshering
Wizard

if you tap on the book symbol at the left side of the bottom, and after that on "definition," a bigger dictionary screen will open.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #73
Arkon
Arkon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
if you tap on the book symbol at the left side of the bottom, and after that on "definition," a bigger dictionary screen will open.
Thank you . It is not very fast, but I'll only need it with some words which have long and different definitions.
Arkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #74
lkstrummer
Enthusiast
lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony Daily Edition PRS-950SC
I tried syncing my aura in order to get the 2.6.1 update. The update hasn't been pushed through to my region yet, it seems, but my custom dictionary was replaced by the standard English dictionary during the sync. I expected this if the updated firmware had been pushed through, but it appears that Kobo is replacing your custom dictionaries during standard syncs. I swapped the standard dictionary with my custom dictionary and synced again, and, lo, again the custom dictionary was replaced. Something to be aware of in the future or bring up with their developers if you want to keep up with Kobo awards and their "reading life" experience.
lkstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #75
tshering
Wizard

lkstrummer,
you might be interested in this solution. Actually, I don't use anylonger the rcS file to run the script, but I call it from the KoboLauncher.