Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Stupid question...

but I have to ask, sorry.

How would I have to go about, to add a letter column to books and collections?
I mean a column showing the letters, allowing me to (e.g.) jump directly to books starting with the letter 's'.

I have a little bit of programming experience, but this is completely new to me.

Thank you very much for your help
Sven
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Let me be more specific...
Are these lists applications on their own, that would have to be recreated, or are they part of a "Sony App", meaning there is no easy way to achieve this?

Thank you very much
Sven
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

Device: Asus Transformer Prime, Sony PRS-T1, HTC Sensation
There is never a stupid question.

It sounds to me like this:

you want to make the books list (or collections list) have an index so you can quickly get to books you want.

To do that you will need a rooted PRS-T1, and then you would have to write a home screen replacement that would give you the list of books.

I have started writing my own Homescreen replacement and I will keep in mind having indexes for the lists.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155911
mrspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by opitzs View Post
but I have to ask, sorry.

How would I have to go about, to add a letter column to books and collections?
I mean a column showing the letters, allowing me to (e.g.) jump directly to books starting with the letter 's'.

I have a little bit of programming experience, but this is completely new to me.

Thank you very much for your help
Sven
Yes it's a pity Sony dropped this feature on the PRST1. The PRSx50 series had a sort of Rolodex index down the right-hand edge of booklists/Collections.

I think on the T1 (as standard) the only option to skip quickly through the booklists is to tap the 'Page x of y' and drag the slider bar, but it's guesswork if you have a lot of books.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
opitzs
Avid Reader

@mrspaceman: I saw your thread, but I was not sure, if the Homescreen was a separate program. I won't shy away from rooting my device. I'll definitely keep a look out for your homescreen replacement, because I have learnt early on, with Sony Readers you buy a hardware, the real software comes, once the great people here get the readers in their fingers

@jackie_w: The PRS 600 had it, too, very useful. I guess either you scroll around with the slidebar or you use the search, both slower.
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Yes it's a pity Sony dropped this feature on the PRST1. The PRSx50 series had a sort of Rolodex index down the right-hand edge of booklists/Collections.

I think on the T1 (as standard) the only option to skip quickly through the booklists is to tap the 'Page x of y' and drag the slider bar, but it's guesswork if you have a lot of books.
Darn. I was hoping that feature would still be available on the T-1. It's one of the things I love about the 350 and 950.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
curious
curious began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hi,

is there a hack out yet for the PRS-T1 to store books in nested folders ? I'd like to be able to store books by genre, author, series at the very least; the ability to create nested folders is basically a deal-breaker as to whether I buy one of these devices.

Surely without this feature a 32GB SD card full of books would be a nightmare to sort through, looking for the title you want ? Never having seen a PRS-T1 "in the flesh" I don't understand how the books are organised.

thanks in advance...
curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
Hi,

is there a hack out yet for the PRS-T1 to store books in nested folders ? I'd like to be able to store books by genre, author, series at the very least; the ability to create nested folders is basically a deal-breaker as to whether I buy one of these devices.

Surely without this feature a 32GB SD card full of books would be a nightmare to sort through, looking for the title you want ? Never having seen a PRS-T1 "in the flesh" I don't understand how the books are organised.

thanks in advance...
If you're a Calibre user you can create Sony Collections on the T1 by genre and/or author and/or series. You can also store books in nested folders. There is also a search function to look for books on the T1. None of this requires any hacking of your T1.

However, the T1 does not have a file explorer function as standard.

You should probably read the 'Rooting the T1' thread to see whether anything there takes your fancy.

Last edited by jackie_w; 11-09-2011 at 03:02 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:07 AM   #9
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
To Quickly Locate a Book:

If you are in any list, like the book list of all books or a collection, then sort that list (with the 3rd top right button) for instance by title or author. Then tap the page number area (the bottom center) to bring up the scrubber. Touching along the scrubber bar WITHOUT removing your finger and dragging within the bar will display the book title or author name right above the scrubber bar that will be the top of the page when you release your finger. This makes it really quick to go anywhere within a list to find the book you want.

This description sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is to do... Try it...

HTH
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
opitzs
Avid Reader

@Robert22: Thank you very much, this is really nice!
I guess it will be less exact with several hundred books on there, but it gets you in the vicinity fast. A very good trick!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Quote:
@Robert22: Thank you very much, this is really nice!
I guess it will be less exact with several hundred books on there, but it gets you in the vicinity fast. A very good trick!
Your welcome opitzs! I have over a thousand and it is very fast to locate any book...
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #12
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Sony PRS-350 Nook Touch Glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert22 View Post
Your welcome opitzs! I have over a thousand and it is very fast to locate any book...
Me too, but it is not so easy, to be easy you have to remember the exact title (or at least the initial of the title) or the author, but in this case it is not easier to make a search?

Last edited by ewandeep; 11-15-2011 at 06:16 AM.
ewandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
opitzs
Avid Reader

Yes, but if you remember the first initial, it might be faster than the search.
Often I know exactly, what book I'm looking for and then this is a wonderful fast way to get there before I would be done typing the title in the search...
Old 11-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #14
ewandeep
Zealot
ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ewandeep , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Sony PRS-350 Nook Touch Glow
Quote:
Often I know exactly, what book I'm looking for and then this is a wonderful fast way to get there before I would be done typing the title in the search...
You lucky, sometimes I also forget my name...
ewandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #15
opitzs
Avid Reader

That couldn't happen to me, I always remember everything, sometimes even for longer than a few seconds