Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
ReaderRabbit
ReaderRabbit began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz Tablet
Computer Problems

I just got a message that my computer is crashing and to back up files. I want to backup my Sigil dictionary files. Which one(s) are they?

ReaderRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Personally, I would back up the whole configuration folder as it ALSO has saved clips, saved searches as well as dictionaries.

By default the folder is hidden:
If Sigil still runs: Edit: Preferences: (click the button at the bottom left)
Copy all or Backup the containing (Sigil) folder

If you need to get at it the hard way

XP C:\Documents and Settings\<your_user_name>\Local Settings\Application Data\sigil-ebook\sigil

Vista and W7 C:\users\<your_user_name>\Local Settings\Application Data\sigil-ebook\sigil
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
ReaderRabbit
ReaderRabbit began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Personally, I would back up the whole configuration folder as it ALSO has saved clips, saved searches as well as dictionaries.

By default the folder is hidden:
If Sigil still runs: Edit: Preferences: (click the button at the bottom left)
Copy all or Backup the containing (Sigil) folder

If you need to get at it the hard way

XP C:\Documents and Settings\<your_user_name>\Local Settings\Application Data\sigil-ebook\sigil

Vista and W7 C:\users\<your_user_name>\Local Settings\Application Data\sigil-ebook\sigil
Thank you
ReaderRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
if your computer is crashing maybe you'ed be better of backing up your whole hdd
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

and what is saying this?
Old 04-13-2014, 02:19 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
and what is saying this?
probably some lying piece of malware, wants to sell him a backup "solution"

but a wise person keeps backups of all important stuff anyway:
dropbox, google drive, amazon cloud drive... lots of free , reliable locations to choose from
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Toshiba (default install) includes a Health Monitor on its Laptops (all I own from them).
Windows logs HD errors to the 'Event viewer' logs (saved my wife's system because I found one of those in time to just clone a HD developing type issues )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
probably some lying piece of malware, wants to sell him a backup "solution"
but a wise person keeps backups of all important stuff anyway:
dropbox, google drive, amazon cloud drive... lots of free , reliable locations to choose from
Yeah thats what I was thinking (and why I asked)
Old 04-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

there's a nasty bit of malware called "backup my PC" or "MyPC backup" that almost sneaked onto mine. it comes inside of open candy installers for various shareware. & its has fake "rave review " sites probably commission based.

( moral: never download anything from download.com unless you are truly desperate).

That's the sort of program that pops up to say that your PC is about to die on you - then lures you into a subscription based service that you'll have great fun??? extricating yourself from

google mypcbackup malware for more info

I have malwarebytes pro though & not a lot gets past that, even if I'm not paying proper attention ! Unfortunatly a couple of freeware utilities that I quite like ( freefilesync & auslogics defrag) are in bed with open candy & thus do their very best to sneak this crap into updates via confusing tick boxes

if you are worried about your HD, run the built in microsoft tests & diagnostics from within Disc Cleanup or go My Computer, right lick on a drive, select properties, then tools. then clcik on error checking

Last edited by cybmole; 04-13-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #10
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

ugh I know what you mean, one program had messages worded so you'd think that you have to install a bunch of crapware to get the program. Talk about annoying
Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
http://Ninite.com is a great way to install and update apps while auto-rejecting the bundled spamware.

Auslogics is on their list of supported apps.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:04 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
http://Ninite.com is a great way to install and update apps while auto-rejecting the bundled spamware.

Auslogics is on their list of supported apps.
iId had that & lost it so thanks for the reminder. you can re-run the customised installer anytme, but you need to also bookmark the web page for if you want to change what you've put in the installer