Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #31
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
reading around the kexec / atags issue it would appear to require the atags support adding into the kernel at build time. There appear to have been various valiant efforts to circumvent this on various devices but I have yet to find a success report.

Of course that doesn't mean there aren't any - just didn't find them yet.

Did find this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1522024 for a Gen8 Android device, which while not a solution, IS an interesting idea. However I don't expect many end users will fancy a bootloader, however for those daring few it could be helpful (as an idea, it's based around buildroot so may be transferable)

So anyway, I'll revisit this when my brain works.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
reading around the kexec / atags issue it would appear to require the atags support adding into the kernel at build time. There appear to have been various valiant efforts to circumvent this on various devices but I have yet to find a success report.

Of course that doesn't mean there aren't any - just didn't find them yet.

Did find this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1522024 for a Gen8 Android device, which while not a solution, IS an interesting idea. However I don't expect many end users will fancy a bootloader, however for those daring few it could be helpful (as an idea, it's based around buildroot so may be transferable)

So anyway, I'll revisit this when my brain works.
Naw, a modified u-boot can do that, at least for models with a keyboard.
I am not sure about the touch screen devices, only because I have not read a recent version of u-boot to see it the hardware drivers are included.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #33
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ooh. okay. I get you. *resumes drinking*

right, well I will keep reading around the atags issue anyhow, extra set of eyes don't hurt.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It isn't all that bad.
Buildroot will build u-boot, and even apply the changes if provided in the form of patches that it can handle.

Perhaps a quicker path is to learn how to use the "Network boot" feature already in the Kindle's u-boot build.
Then the machine would be running (in RAM) a kernel and system image of our choice.
A handy thing to have when trying to recover Kindles with nearly dead batteries.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #35
twobob

Quote:
ARM has the option to disable the MMU like x86 and the
kernel starts in that mode by default which makes things straight
forward.

The biggest part is to figure out the format that the ARM kernel
accepts arguments in and generate those arguments when you load
an ARM kernel. Basically that the kexec code really does collect
up the information a boot loader would pass and it passes it to the
kernel.
Okay. I get that.

Quote:
Perhaps a quicker path is to learn how to use the "Network boot" feature already in the Kindle's u-boot build.
Then the machine would be running (in RAM) a kernel and system image of our choice.
Ah. sounds like a plan yes. good thinking
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #36
knc1
Going Viral

Unless I get real lucky in my DX(G) u-boot research, network booting the dead DX(G) from u-boot may be our only choice.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #37
twobob

which is another great reason for it to be done
Old 10-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #38
cavorite
Enthusiast
cavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the end

Location: Milky Way galaxy, Orion-Cygnus arm, Sol-III, North America, USA, FL
Device: various iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Unless I get real lucky in my DX(G) u-boot research, network booting the dead DX(G) from u-boot may be our only choice.
How's that been going?
cavorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #39
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavorite View Post
How's that been going?
Nearly finished reading all of it.

Had "life" interrupt my "hobby time" - a friend had to go to the hospital a few days ago.

I thought this would be quicker than trying to network boot a machine I don't have from a file server running on a machine that I don't have.
I may have been wrong, but too late now with over 220 symbols added to the load map chart.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #40
twobob

long... and arduous. respect to you Knc1
Old 10-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #41
cavorite
Enthusiast
cavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the end

Location: Milky Way galaxy, Orion-Cygnus arm, Sol-III, North America, USA, FL
Device: various iDevices
No problems here, just doing loops in a holding pattern.
cavorite is offline   Reply With Quote