Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #16
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I tried out the read in-store today at BN, and I got stuck after selecting a book to read and pressing the 'in store' button for the book. It just froze and did nothing. I finally tried clicking the arrow at the bottom of the screen, which immediately brought up another dialogue box telling me I had an hour of reading, and from there I was good to go. Not a very intuitive process, but well worth the free reading (if you can find a cafe table or chair not taken by students doing homework or laptop surfers).
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Good tip. That could be a stumbling block for sure!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:27 AM   #18
highvista
highvista is on a distinguished road

Device: NOOKcolor, Nexus One
Here's a re-post from another thread of something I ran into that should be helpful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
I'm trying watch a video I converted using Handbrake, but when I pause and leave the video and return later, it reverts to the beginning of the video. Does anyone know of a way to get it to resume where I left it? I could use the scroll bar to try to find where I left it, but then I have to remember the time in the movie and such.
If you pause the video and press the "n" button, rather than using the "Back" button, your position in the video will be remembered the next time you play it. But only the position in the last video is remembered. B&N really needs to add a full-function video player that recalls position for every video. This is standard procedure for Android phone apps--at least for the ones I've used.

One caveat. It seems that if you do what I said above and then access a different video, sometimes the player will come up with the saved position displayed for the new video. Using the back button here and then re-entering the new video seems to clear this--and forget your position in the previous video, of course.
highvista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #19
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I hope this doesn't make me look stupid...but I couldn't figure out how to browse free books. The nook guy at Barnes & Noble showed me that while in the store application do a search for 0.00.

Last edited by French; 12-05-2010 at 08:14 PM.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #20
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Go to "Shop" in the search field you type in 0.00. or on the website under nookbooks there is an actual title for Free books.

It's not a stupid question at all.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #21
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

deleted
Old 12-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Creating a PDF for the NOOKcolor

Sometimes it is easier or more desirable to create a quick PDF to view on the NC rather than creating an ePub or some other format. I had such a case today and played around with MS Word to find some good page size, font, and margin settings. Here is what I found to work pretty well:

Page Size: 3.4" x 5.5"

Margins: 0.1" all around

Font Size: Set to your preference. I used Times New Roman at 10pt. I think it is a bit large, so I probably could have used 9pt.

I created the DOCX file then exported it to a PDF.

I attached two screenshots of the resulting file as displayed on my NC. One uses 10pt Times New Roman and the second uses 9pt Arial Rounded MT Bold.

EDIT: I incorrectly stated that font sizes but have edited them accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-12-11-5.png
Views:	1523
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	62663   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-12-11-1.png
Views:	1247
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	62705  

Last edited by jswinden; 12-12-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #23
SCION
Séduisant

Wow, what a practical tip! Thanks.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
To continue the topic of PDF's, some people (like me) are picky about book covers. When PDF's are side-loaded in the "Books" folder, they show a generic "book" icon. When PDF's are side-loaded in the "Documents" folder, they show a generic "office document" icon.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:55 AM   #25
SCION
Séduisant

Library Books (Getting Them To Show Up In "Books", Not "My Files")

Question from another thread:

I downloaded a couple books from the library. They show up in "My Files" instead of Books... HOW do I get them to go into "Books" from the Adobe Digital Editions instead of "My Files"?

It can't be done from Adobe Digital Editions. Once the book is on the NOOKColor, press and hold the book, then select "Move to Shelf". Choose the shelf you want. I have a shelf called "Library Books".
Old 12-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #26
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
bump...

Any new ones?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #27
emt
Nameless Being

Return to Last Book Read

I noticed that when using a launcher (Zeam, ADW, ...) the little book icon will not return you to the last book read - well I found a workaround:

There's a new Soft Key app here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=888513

I replaced SoftKeys 3.0 with this - it works very well and even shows up in the Nook Color home screen. Now, I use Zeam but I made "Home" my default launcher using "Home Switcher". The neat thing is that when using the new softkey app, you can popup a small task mgr/launcher and thus can go back and forth between Zeam and Home.

The amazing thing (to me) is that even while in Zeam the little book icon returns me to my last read book!

There are a few small niggles with the new soft key app but, IMHO, it works better than SoftKey.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #28
botyok
botyok began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
hi, this is my first ever post. unfortunately, my nook color is going back to B&N for a replacement. The power button is faulty. Anyway, i just thought I'd share a tip that I accidentally discovered. Mine was an unrooted NC. But double tapping at the upper part of the screen auto arranges the books on the home screen.
botyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #29
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by botyok View Post
hi, this is my first ever post. unfortunately, my nook color is going back to B&N for a replacement. The power button is faulty. Anyway, i just thought I'd share a tip that I accidentally discovered. Mine was an unrooted NC. But double tapping at the upper part of the screen auto arranges the books on the home screen.
Thanks for the tip and welcome to MobileRead! Hope your replacement NC is better. You can double-tap anywhere on the home screen to rearrange the books (not just the corner). Also I will add that it's much quicker to change your background image if you press and hold your finger on the Home Screen and then select Set Wallpaper rather than going through the Gallery Menus.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:36 AM   #30
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
How many ways are there to turn this thing on or off? When I first received/charged it, I hit the power button once and sat there for a bit before realizing that I had to hold it down for a few seconds to get it to power up.

Turning it off, my understanding is you again hold the power key down until the screen goes fuzzy and then soft-key the shutdown, or you can hold the power key constant right through the fuzzy screen until it shuts down.

Is anyone aware of any soft-keys on the screen (or desktop for rooted users) that will do a shutdown with just a quick press and confirm?
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote