Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2006, 03:53 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
LG Philips still touring with its 14.1" E Ink display

LG Philips LCD has shown off an E-Ink based 14.1-inch WXGA flexible e-paper during Information Displays (IMID) 2006 in South Korea. If you feel a sense of deja vu over this announcement, you're not alone. It's the same gorgeous display the company demonstrated two months ago, and the specs are also still the same: 16 gray scales, 10:1 contrast ratio and a 180 degree viewing angle. What we didn't know until now was the display's response time, and at 300ms it certainly won't win any horse racing games. Instead of making their displays increasingly larger, E Ink should be well advised to make them faster first.

[via Mobile Mag]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
14.1 inches is to big to be portable and being flexible at that size makes it more difficult to use. As it is now no reader has it spot on. All the others have to much casing around and are too thick. For now the results are too far away to be called e-paper. But we're on the right track...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2006, 09:07 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
300ms is better than the 500ms the iLiad gets ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I wouldn't count on that. I remember reading somewhere else on this forum (I think it was Henrycat's first review) that the response time of the iLiad is determined by a) the time it needs to cache the page and b) the actual refresh time of the E Ink display. Of course I could be wrong, but I think this is why the iLiad is even slower than this demo E Ink display.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I meant was that the iLiad's e-Ink's actual refresh time is 500ms (I think), and this is saying 300ms ....

Last edited by NatCh; 08-28-2006 at 09:28 AM. Reason: typo
Advert
Old 08-28-2006, 09:35 AM   #6
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I understand. What I meant is that E Ink is probably just showing half of the equation - that 300ms is the part needed to refresh the screen, but that probably more time is required to actually cache the content before displaying it. In other words, the actual E Ink screen used by the iLiad might be faster than 500ms, if it wasn't for delays in caching the content.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:01 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, I see what you're saying now.

I still don't think that's right, but I do understand what you're saying.

I will freely admit, however, that you may very well be correct and I the wrong one.

Maybe we'll know what the exact specs on the iLiad's screen are someday, but I suppose if we don't it won't make much difference in the long run. (shrug)
Old 08-29-2006, 03:54 AM   #8
doctorow
Guru

You should be a diplomat ;-)

Let's agree on this then. Assuming that 300ms is the best E Ink can offer today, it's very much unlikely, no matter how much code optimizing iRex does, that the iLiad will refresh pages faster than 300ms.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

I can agree with that without reservation. The refresh rate of the hardware (whatever that actaully is), will always bottle-neck the process.

Unfortunately, I'm not always so diplomatic in person, here I usually have time to think, so I usually manage to say what I actually mean to say.

I still want a shrug smilie.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still don't understand why they did'nt take existing computing power to make the thing work ? Why start from the beginning ? the wheel is already there.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #11
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Ah, I see what you're saying now.

I still don't think that's right, but I do understand what you're saying.

I will freely admit, however, that you may very well be correct and I the wrong one.

Maybe we'll know what the exact specs on the iLiad's screen are someday, but I suppose if we don't it won't make much difference in the long run. (shrug)

Without reading anything else.. that's damned funny!
:-)

Last edited by Frogsmasha; 08-29-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:30 AM   #12
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
I say give an eink reader a poly-carbon case ala thinkpad notebooks and we'll have thin and gorgeous ebook readers! Lenovo ... ya listening?
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #13
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
300 ms is good enough. The ball is on the roof of the interface designers.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:01 PM   #14
doctorow
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
300 ms is good enough. The ball is on the roof of the interface designers.
You mean it's time that the Apple maniacs take the e-book in their hands.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:21 PM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
You mean it's time that the Apple maniacs take the e-book in their hands.
I am sure they are the only ones capable enough !