Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Analyst predicts $750M worth of Kindle sales by 2010

Citigroup analyst Mark Mahaney, who was originally quite down on the Kindle, is now rather rosy about it's outlook making the projection that the adoption curve will follow the iPod but only be half as much. Here are his projections.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle.png
Views:	1005
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	12899

As much as I adore my Kindle, I also think Jobs had a point when he said no one reads anymore. I think a lot of people do read, but not in huge numbers like those that buy music and videos. Maybe with a more multifunction device, something that was great for textbooks, maybe a huge price drop, I could see that. What do we think? Is 50% reasonable? Does Mahaney need to put the pipe down?

Reported by Gizmodo and cNet.

Original article at the Silicon Alley Insider.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
They are estimating that Kindle owner's will buy 1, 9.99 book per month. I guess that is realistic... considering Kindle owners are probably avid readers or they would not have spent $400 on the reader. Actually, 1 book per month might be lowballing it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think Apple will release a reader
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think if Apple does so, they'll wait until the technology is more mature.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Lima_dat
English ppl ride potatoe?
Lima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think if Apple does so, they'll wait until the technology is more mature.
Apple will wait until mainstream e-book piracy is more mature. Jump in and clean up with cheap legal downloads and slick, mature hardware.
Lima_dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apple's pricing is legal but I certainly would not call it cheap. 99 cents a song is a lot of money.
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
The projection is for sales of about 2.3 million units over 2-3 years, and for readers buying 12 books per year on average.

That's less than 1% of the total functionally literate US population. And, lest we forget, folks who read 12 books per year are high up in the top quartile of that population -- who average <em>one</em> book per year (with the top 1% probably accounting for 30-45% of all book consumption).

So, this sales projection is probably achievable. But it's not terribly promising, either.
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Tom90deg
Tom90deg is on a distinguished road

I agree, people don't seem to read anymore, which makes me sad. I don't know the percentages, but a rather high number of people, once they get out of school, never read again. Sure, maybe one book a year, but that's about it. I'm all in favor of the Kindle, pretty much ANYthing that will get people reading is good for me, we need to do something to make people less dumb. I'm still in favor of removing all safety labels, but apparently that's not "Legal".
Tom90deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #9
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom90deg View Post
I agree, people don't seem to read anymore, which makes me sad. I don't know the percentages, but a rather high number of people, once they get out of school, never read again. Sure, maybe one book a year, but that's about it. I'm all in favor of the Kindle, pretty much ANYthing that will get people reading is good for me, we need to do something to make people less dumb. I'm still in favor of removing all safety labels, but apparently that's not "Legal".
LOL, that could help thin the herd a bit! It is scary the number of people who don't read and get their news from entertainment tonight!

My wife and I are trying to build a love of reading into our kids and so far we've been pretty successful. All three are avid readers for their respective ages. My thirteen year old consumes books at an amazing rate. I think people need to start giving their kids books instead of plopping them in front of the TV!
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
As Yogi Berra is alleged to have said, "prediction is hard, especially about the future". Nevertheless, I will venture one: readers will be successful, but not because of the sale of books, but because they will allow for downloads of magazines and newspapers, and students will make increasing use of them for course materials.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First Citigroup, now Goldman Sachs.

Quote:
Amazon (AMZN) shares this morning are getting a boost from Goldman Sachs analyst James Mitchell, who added the stock to the firm’s Americas Conviction Buy List, and upped his price target to $98 from $75. “Based on a measured online-offline strategy; Prime, Kindle, and mobile tapping pent-up demand; and share gains in a growing market, we estimate it can sustain 20%-plus/year unit growth over 5-10 years,” Mitchell wrote in a research note this morning.
via Barrons Blogs
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #12
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima_dat View Post
Apple will wait until mainstream e-book piracy is more mature. Jump in and clean up with cheap legal downloads and slick, mature hardware.
That's just what Amazon did. Well, except the slick part. I don't see Apple getting into this market at all - the race will be over before Cupertino even knows there was a race to be had.

Ironically the Sony Reader seems to have gotten a big bump from all this talk about ebooks and is outselling the Kindle on Amazon's own site. Sure, before the Kindle it was pretty much the only ebook there, but I think the Kindle has had a halo effect on Sony's products. It'll be interesting to see how the competition shapes up between the two, and whether Sony will be able to keep the market advantage or if they'll be killed by Kindle's lock on content.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Ironically the Sony Reader seems to have gotten a big bump from all this talk about ebooks and is outselling the Kindle on Amazon's own site.
How were you able to determine that? Not saying it's not true, I just want to know how you figured that out.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #14
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
I assume you would search for "ebook reader" and sort by t he "Bestselling" option. I don't know how the "Bestselling" criteria are determined though.
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?ke...82&sort=pmrank
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote