Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #16
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too much to remember
Well....I guess if Grandpappy Bookripper wants to borrow my E-reader, I'd make him a kick-ass bookshelve full of WWII books. :-)
Bookripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookripper View Post
Especially the latest batch of E-readers, all claiming to have 30.000 book libraries, are getting on my nerves. It's 2012. Windows '95 had a better sorting system than the so-called crème de la crème of current E-readers. And 90% of the forum keeps on supporting that stuff.... crazy...
I totally agree.

The huge problem, in my view, is the fact that current eReaders are not customizable at all AND that no private business has an economic interest in proposing an open HW/SW device (even big HW-only makers, like Sony, are struggling behind HW+content players, like Amazon). We really need some university/cultural organization/public entity to fund the development of such product.

For example, the problem with the indexing/file registering/etc. process when you add a book. One should have a way for disabling it, as not everyone needs it.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Exactly. This restrictive software issue SHOULD be a 1000-page topic on every forum. But most people have absolutely no problem with it. They even defend it, like WE are the ones who dont really "get" it.
Simply put, we are outnumbered 999 to 1. So I hold no hopes for any real changes soon.
I hope Bookeen will deliver the goods, but I'm a bit affraid that it will have problems the other Ereaders dont have. I never even heard of the brand before I came to this forum.

I like the whole Ereader thing and I would not expect an E-reader to behave like a tablet. But it should not feel like taking a trip back to the pre-Commodore 64 Era either...

And it's really not the manufacturers bussiness where we get our books. They sell the DEVICE, not a lifelong contract that ties you to buy books in THEIR store only. Thats ridiculous. It's not like they are handing Ereaders out for free in the hope we'll buy books from them.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, as I wrote above, the HW manufacturers have hard times competing with Amazon selling Kindles at a price near (or even below) the production cost.

The antitrust agencies should do something.

Fortunately, the fact that public organizations have to embrace open formats still keeps the door open to EPUB and the manufacturers supporting this open standard (and, hence, favors "diversity" in the market).
Old 11-12-2012, 04:26 AM   #20
Bookripper
Connoisseur

The big trap is the paranoia for piracy from the publishers. When you try to protect/restrict your product too much, companies like Amazon end up with the power to control the market. Apple took advantage of the same fear the record labels had, and now it's one of the biggest online music retailers in the world. Apple also is very active in pricefixing E-books with publishers. I think there is some sort of antitrust refund coming up, but of course the damage is done.

A Kindle can cost 5$, I still would not buy it because I would never spend a penny on an Amazon or Apple product. It's up to the consumer to have some ethics regarding downloading/paying for stuff, not up to Amazon or Apple to ram it down our throats...while pricefixing and getting filthy rich from it.
Why anybody would buy a device that restricts you to DRM and such, and to buying all your products in 1 store, I'll never understand.
It's pretty clear that you buy a package deal when you buy a Kindle. With Epub, there is a widespread alternative available for crap like that, so we should not need consumer protection laws, we should be smart enough by ourselves. there are plenty of alternative E-readers.
For me the only problem is: give us a bit of User Comfort on those damn things!! :-)

Last edited by Bookripper; 11-12-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 04:32 AM   #21
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Quote:
A Kindle can cost 5$, I still would not buy it because I would never spend a penny on an Amazon or Apple product. It's up to the consumer to have some ethics regarding downloading/paying for stuff, not up to Amazon or Apple to ram it down our throats...while pricefixing and getting filthy rich from it.
Why anybody would buy a device that restricts you to DRM and such, and to buying all your products in 1 store, I'll never get.
Totally agree. I had to buy Amazon and Apple devices for testing purposes, but I am not buying eBook with DRM.

The fact is that a vast majority of people prefers "convenience" to "freedom", to use Stallman's words.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #22
kazuma6666
Enthusiast
kazuma6666 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook OPUS, Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
I hope Bookeen will deliver the goods, but I'm a bit affraid that it will have problems the other Ereaders dont have. I never even heard of the brand before I came to this forum.
I never heard of bookeen before coming here either, but I bought a cybook opus in 2009 and I'm very satisfied with it. I had not much problem with it (occasional freeze, just remove the battery and it will start again, but I don't think that happened in the last 2 years). I don't know much about the new devices but I know I like my opus.

I'm probably gonna buy an odyssey soon because I read a lot in english and want a dictionnary since i'm french and don't always understand every word.

From what I read online it seems good enough. Also, I will never buy a kindle until they support epub. No way I'm gonna buy everything on amazon.
kazuma6666 is offline   Reply With Quote