Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
jpt
Enthusiast
jpt began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC; Nokia 770; White EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Bookeen Cybook Odyssey
Custom TTF fonts in MOBI books?

Hey--
I'm trying to get custom fonts to work in mobi books. I have files named "genb.ttf", "genbbd.ttf", "genbi.ttf", and "genbbi.ttf" in \fonts\index on my SD card, but they still aren't showing up when I try to change the font in the book. Any ideas?

-- J.P.
jpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt View Post
I'm trying to get custom fonts to work in mobi books. I have files named "genb.ttf", "genbbd.ttf", "genbi.ttf", and "genbbi.ttf" in \fonts\index on my SD card, but they still aren't showing up when I try to change the font in the book. Any ideas?
They should be in \fonts, not in \fonts\index: http://www.theezreader.com/html/support.asp#10
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
jpt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
They should be in \fonts, not in \fonts\index: http://www.theezreader.com/html/support.asp#10
I tried that; it still doesn't work. And I think those instructions are for .txt and .doc files, not mobi ones...

-- J.P.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
I tried that; it still doesn't work. And I think those instructions are for .txt and .doc files, not mobi ones...

-- J.P.
You're right, it does say that. I overlooked it because that's how it works on my BeBook as well, including for Mobi files.

You could install the BeBook firmware
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I put a few fonts in /fonts on the main memory and it works, except that everytime the book is closed and reopens it defaults back to Times.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I found that it will ignore some fonts... No matter how I name them, caps, no caps, location, it will not show them...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
Quote:
Hey--

-- J.P.
You might be having trouble because of the name of the font ends with 'b'. The mobi reader is probably seeing genbi.ttf as a bold italic font file instead of just the italic version and so doesn't think you have the required 4 font files. Try renaming the font files (maybe to gen.ttf or genb_.ttf) and see if that works.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
jpt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I found that it will ignore some fonts... No matter how I name them, caps, no caps, location, it will not show them...
Can you try Gentium? The download is here: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...ntium_download

-- J.P.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
jpt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzilla View Post
You might be having trouble because of the name of the font ends with 'b'. The mobi reader is probably seeing genbi.ttf as a bold italic font file instead of just the italic version and so doesn't think you have the required 4 font files. Try renaming the font files (maybe to gen.ttf or genb_.ttf) and see if that works.
I tried that; it still doesn't work. I'm getting a bit annoyed, as mobi seems to be a nice format on the Pez -- I like the three font sizes, and pagination works properly... but I just can't use my favorite font...

-- J.P.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
When I tried them a while ago I found that fonts that works on an EZ Reader Basic did not work on a Pocket Pro. I only tried from the SD card, and tselling reports above that fonts work from internal memory. See if that works for you. Some fonts don't work at all, apparently because they don't cover all the needed characters, which means that reports of failure are hard to turn into bug reports.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

I haven't had a problem with the fonts I tried. Currently I have "aller" and "luxir" on my pocketpro. I also ran a test renaming the luxir font files to testb.ttf testbi.ttf testbbd.ttf testbbi.ttf and that worked as well so the ending b in the font name shouldn't matter.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can you try Gentium? The download is here: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...ntium_download

-- J.P.
Gentium is the one I was talking about... It looks like a really nice font, but it just won't work...
Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
Quote:

-- J.P.
I tried the Gentium Basic font and that one works on the PPro. I haven't tried Gentium Book Basic yet.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamzilla View Post
I tried the Gentium Basic font and that one works on the PPro. I haven't tried Gentium Book Basic yet.
Hmm, that one doesn't work on my Mini...

How did you name them?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
tselling
Addict

Quote:
-- J.P.
The Gentium Basic and Gentium Book Basic fonts work fine. They are on this page: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...=Gentium_basic

The page you listed has the Gentium Main and Alt fonts... those don't seem to have a bold version so may be why they don't work.

Also I think we are limited to 8 fonts so make sure you don't install more than that or you won't see all the fonts.

Mine are named:
genbas.ttf genbasbd.ttf genbasbi.ttf genbasi.ttf
genbkbas.ttf genbkbasbd.ttf genbkbasbi.ttf genbkbasi.ttf

Last edited by tselling; 11-19-2009 at 10:35 AM.