Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want/need dictionary support in your reader?
Yes. 303 78.50%
No. 79 20.47%
Other (please explain) 4 1.04%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #31
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Dictionary lookup is one of those features people don't know how much they want it until it is used.
I use to think it was neat to have "for my children" but now I realize I use this feature as much as they do if not more.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #32
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So you'll stick with Amazon when the rest of the world is going ePub?
Mind you I'm starting to like ePUB more and more. But Mobi/Amz is still the defaco standard here in the states.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #33
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Dictionary support would be nice, but I don't consider it necessary, I keep a dictionary on my Touch which is also always with me. On the rare occasions when it is not available I have several dictionaries available in my study.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:58 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How many people here actually NEED a dictionary. Not just want, but actually NEED. I bet the numbers will be a lot different when you vote just based on NEED. So if you want a dictionary but do not NEED one, then you'd vote no.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:32 PM   #35
ankayeb
ankayeb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
The dictionary feature is not something that I use very often, but I do like that it's available for the occasional word that I don't know. Usually I can figure out the meaning from context, so if the dictionary lookup was not available, I wouldn't waste the time looking in a paper dictionary. By using the dictionary on my Kindle, I can find out the actual meaning of the word without feeling that I'm being distracted from the book.
ankayeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #36
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Definitely voted 'yes' but I'm a word junkie.

I own fourteen dictionaries (at last count) including two second edition Websters, the OED on CD and the original Johnson dictionary, also on CD. Also have three paperback Webster's stashed around the house that have their covers taped on because I used them so much (not counted in the fourteen since they are copies of the same dictionary).

Unfortunately, the Adobe person is probably right.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #37
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
How many people here actually NEED a dictionary. Not just want, but actually NEED. I bet the numbers will be a lot different when you vote just based on NEED. So if you want a dictionary but do not NEED one, then you'd vote no.
Nobody here NEEDS an ebook reader. I think we are trying to help determine the level of potential customer support that would justify Adobe investing the manhours to provide dictionary support.

Quote:
So you'll stick with Amazon when the rest of the world is going ePub?
I like the idea of ePub support, but it is far from being the ubiquitous standard that becomes a deal-breaker for passing on buying an ebook reader and ebook provider that otherwise meet the majority of my requirements. In other words, applying numerical values to ebook reader attributes on a 10 point scale with 10 points as highest:

Inline Dictionary Support (like Kindle's) = 7
ePub Support = 4

Not everyone shares your same all-encompassing dread and abhorrance of DRM works. Some folks prefer great system integration over complicated but comprehensive user control, even if that brings DRM restrictions in a semi-closed environment. Look at Apple's iTunes model, their early closed system with flawless execution (compared to the alternatives) gained them a 96% market share, and so now they have opened the system so you can purchase and download non-DRM music. Again, that's why they build Fords and Chevys, not everyone has the same priorities of what makes a desireable product.

Last edited by pking36330; 05-19-2009 at 06:56 PM.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #38
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
What do you meen by need? The book I am reading now use a lot of archaic words. I had for example to look up "picaroon" today.

I also seems to need the dictionary to tell me when I have guessed wrong what a word mean. I just happened to look up "moribund" today and realized I had guessed a bit wrong about the meaning.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #39
puffergeek
puffergeek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and iPhone
I would not have bought a Kindle 2 without it!

I used to use this a lot with eReader as well...
puffergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #40
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I've used a variety of ebook readers over the years, some with, some without. It's never been a deal maker or breaker either way. I seldom use it, but it's not a bad idea. You left off "Indifferent" so I voted not used.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #41
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Dictionary lookup is one of those features people don't know how much they want it until it is used.
I use to think it was neat to have "for my children" but now I realize I use this feature as much as they do if not more.

=X=
i completely agree (although i already had a long-standing dictionary habit from well before my ebook days).

the integrated dictionary support on my eb1150 is one of my favorite features. the touchscreen navigation made it practically instantaneous to look up a word and i used it all the time. yet another thing the ebookwise did right 10 years before all the others... i love the 700 but i still can't understand why sony didn't integrate dictionary lookup to take further advantage of the touchscreen. i've made my own dictionaries which i keep as reference (one french, one english) from old dictionaries available in the public domain and i use them when necessary, but it's not nearly as practical as integrated lookup. i will be VERY happy the day that feature gets added to adobe's epub software and i really hope they realise how important it is soon. if they have any doubts even after this poll there are other threads requesting dictionary support for sony devices for instance and users even go so far as to make their own dictionary hacks when they can. it seems pretty short-sighted of them to assume that dictionary support is unimportant.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #42
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
Hi Guys,

Dictionary fuctionality is like most things in life.... It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I will be adding dictionary lookup to ZuluReader very soon, it's been on my short list since I started wrting ZR. The epub format support is going extremely well, Steve Jordan's books come up beautifully, also epubs created with Calibre. I am currently working on books from Harlequin, almost finished that now.

I would love to receive more DRM free epubs for testing purposes, and I am keen to get some more beta testers for ZR.

Cheers,

Steve.
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #43
Lee Crocker
Free Software Developer
Lee Crocker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I use dictionary support, but I'm generally disappointed with it--the only words I look up are the really obscure ones that aren't likely to be found in any but an unabridged dictionary. I'd like to see the standard extended so that books could supply their own glossaries for unusual words they use.
Lee Crocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #44
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondabeach View Post
Hi Guys,

Dictionary fuctionality is like most things in life.... It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I will be adding dictionary lookup to ZuluReader very soon, it's been on my short list since I started wrting ZR. The epub format support is going extremely well, Steve Jordan's books come up beautifully, also epubs created with Calibre. I am currently working on books from Harlequin, almost finished that now.

I would love to receive more DRM free epubs for testing purposes, and I am keen to get some more beta testers for ZR.

Cheers,

Steve.
that's good to hear !

and you know, you can get more drm-free epub books than you can shake a stick at on feedbooks and in our upload section... just saying.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #45
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
A dictionary isn't vital, but it's a very handy feature. I generally use it at least once per book, sometimes more. So, I'd definitely rather have a dictionary than not.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote