Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
<pendant>
The Mini has exactly the same resolution as the iPad and iPad 2, at 1024x768.
It has a higher pixel density than the iPad and iPad 2.
</pendant>
Depending on who you ask to define "resolution". The number of pixels in width and height are meaningless IMO. What truly counts is how many pixels per inch of diagonal.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #32
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Funny, how often do you read on the diagonal? Actually in a proper system the vertical and horizontal are the same number and thus the diagonal would be the same as well using the rule of congruent triangles.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #33
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm currently reading "For the love of Physics" by Walter Lewin, witch has illustrations and link to youtube and such. The Mini is perfect for this book.
I'm really enjoying this.

And I don't care how much better the screen could have been. Al I know is that the Mini is worth it to me as it is now. I'm enjoying it as it is.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #34
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Depending on who you ask to define "resolution". The number of pixels in width and height are meaningless IMO. What truly counts is how many pixels per inch of diagonal.
I think if you stop and think about that for a bit, you'll realise it is a bit silly.
A 40" 1980x1080 TV is pretty crappy then, having only about 55 ppi?
While my BlackBerry, at 480x360 @ 244 ppi, would be better for reading magazines on than the iPad Mini at 1024x768 @ 162 ppi?

The iPad Mini has the same resolution as the original iPad.
An original iPad held further away will give exactly the same visual image as an iPad Mini held closer. (I can't be bothered to work out the exact difference in distance required.)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #35
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

As people don't sit within 1 foot over their HDTVs, that is a thoroughly ridiculous statement. Heck, at around 5 feet a 1980x1080 tv can arguable be considered retina on a 40" display. It's all about size and viewing distance.

Last edited by Tess89; 11-28-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #36
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
I think if you stop and think about that for a bit, you'll realise it is a bit silly.
While my BlackBerry, at 480x360 @ 244 ppi, would be better for reading magazines on than the iPad Mini at 1024x768 @ 162 ppi?

The iPad Mini has the same resolution as the original iPad.
An original iPad held further away will give exactly the same visual image as an iPad Mini held closer. (I can't be bothered to work out the exact difference in distance required.)
Here's the data from another thread, the difference is 4", but I'm not sure how accurate the numbers are:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
  • For h = 1/132" (132 ppi), distance required = 22.7" (iPad1 and 2)
  • For h = 1/162" (162 ppi), distance required = 18.5" (iPad Mini)
  • For h = 1/170" (170 ppi), distance required = 17.6" (original Fire)
  • For h = 1/216" (216 ppi), distance required = 13.9" (Fire HD, Nexus 7)
  • For h = 1/268" (268 ppi), distance required = 11.2" (iPad3)
  • For h = 1/326" (326 ppi), distance required = 9.2" (iPhone5)

So in theory the above listed devices would have to be held at least as far from the eye as the listed distance before the average human retina would no longer see any individual pixels. Your eyes, of course, will vary.

Here's an article about HDTV and retina screens. The data there is slightly different, but the same idea:
Quote:
The iPhone 4 with 326 PPI is a Retina Display when viewed from 10.5 inches or more
The new iPad 3 with 264 PPI is a Retina Display when viewed from 13.0 inches or more
The MacBook Pro with 220 PPI is a Retina Display when viewed from 15.6 inches or more

Since I hold my reading material more than 20" away from my eyes (I was curious so I got out a tape measure) anything with 160+ ppi is retina for me. Heck, my 130 ppi laptop is retina too, since the screen is more than 2 feet from my eyes. 326 ppi sounds impressive, but it only matters if you want to squint at your phone a few inches from your nose.

The presumption that seeing a pixel is the end of the world is silly anyway. Compared to reading the fuzzy print in an old paperback even a low resolution screen is clearly better.

Last edited by Synamon; 11-28-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #37
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess89 View Post
As people don't sit within 1 foot over their HDTVs, that is a thoroughly ridiculous statement. Heck, at around 5 feet a 1980x1080 tv can arguable be considered retina on a 40" display. It's all about size and viewing distance.
That was exactly my point. It was a reductio ad absurdum.
The iPad Mini is the same resolution as the iPad, and would look the same, if held slightly closer.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #38
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Since I hold my reading material more than 20" away from my eyes (I was curious so I got out a tape measure) anything with 160+ ppi is retina for me. Heck, my 130 ppi laptop is retina too, since the screen is more than 2 feet from my eyes. 326 ppi sounds impressive, but it only matters if you want to squint at your phone a few inches from your nose.
Interesting. I had to get a measuring tape out as well, and when I'm reading comics and magazines, I hold the iPad roughly 12-14 inches away from my face.
I certainly saw a huge difference going from the iPad (1) to new iPad (3), which fits with the table you gave.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #39
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I caved and bought the Mini. I just love my new Mini as an ereader. It's easy enough to hold with one hand. And I'm curious to see who else uses the Mini as an ereader.
You smart man. Best eReader I have ever had. And I have most of them. I love my mini for reading. Absolutely Fantastic.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #40
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting. I had to get a measuring tape out as well, and when I'm reading comics and magazines, I hold the iPad roughly 12-14 inches away from my face.
I certainly saw a huge difference going from the iPad (1) to new iPad (3), which fits with the table you gave.
Crazy.

Last edited by MrDoug; 11-28-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #41
MrDoug
Banned

Sorry. Duplicate post.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #42
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Lot's of pdf bashing here. PDFs have some nice features. First, it's an open standard ( ISO 32000-1:2008) with free readers & generators on a variety of platforms. That's huge. Second, pdfs are predictable and consistent from device to device. A word processor or html doc will look different from machine to machine. Unfortunately, that consistency means if the pdf is somehow suboptimal for a particular device, it's harder to get optimal output.

For the most part, pdfs are formatted for printing on standard paper sizes. There's no reason they have to be formatted that way. One can just as easily generate Apple Ipad mini-sized pdfs. For example, i've been reading a Japanese pdfs formatted for the Sony Reader. These look pretty nice. (PDF is also the only way to get vertical Japanese text on my reader.)
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #43
ryanlawrence171
ryanlawrence171 began at the beginning.

Device: ryanlawrence171
iPad mini is a wonderful device if it is used as an e-reader. You can download as much books as you can from various apps like Kindle and Newstand.
ryanlawrence171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #44
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post
Lot's of pdf bashing here. PDFs have some nice features. First, it's an open standard ( ISO 32000-1:2008) with free readers & generators on a variety of platforms. That's huge. Second, pdfs are predictable and consistent from device to device. A word processor or html doc will look different from machine to machine. Unfortunately, that consistency means if the pdf is somehow suboptimal for a particular device, it's harder to get optimal output.

For the most part, pdfs are formatted for printing on standard paper sizes. There's no reason they have to be formatted that way. One can just as easily generate Apple Ipad mini-sized pdfs. For example, i've been reading a Japanese pdfs formatted for the Sony Reader. These look pretty nice. (PDF is also the only way to get vertical Japanese text on my reader.)
And therein lies the problem, most PDFs are formatted for A4 or Letter, and being non-reflowable format, PDFs don't display well on 6" (and though OK, not great on 10" either), and hence make for a poor reading experience. The "bashing" you refer too is not for the format per-se, but how it renders on small screen readers.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #45
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
And therein lies the problem, most PDFs are formatted for A4 or Letter, and being non-reflowable format, PDFs don't display well on 6" (and though OK, not great on 10" either), and hence make for a poor reading experience. The "bashing" you refer too is not for the format per-se, but how it renders on small screen readers.
Indeed! I made the mistake of downloading a PDF library book to read on my PRS-650... and I couldnt. I had to re-borrow in epub format. Wont be downloading pdfs again, and I'll keep my pdf viewing in Goodreader on the iPad.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote