Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
New to Pocketbook Have Questions

My Sony broke down, so I decided to replace it with a Pocketbook 360. It should arrive by Friday. I have done some research and downloaded the extension.cfg to bypass the adobe reader when opeing epub and pdf files as well as a few font ttf files.

When I get the reader I plan on backing up the reader drive so I can restore if anything goes wrong.

Then I will put the ttf font files in x:system/font. Do I need to do anything else to make the fonts available in the menu?

Then I will put the extension.cfg file in X:system/config. Do I need to do anything else to activate it?

Will any of this mess up my reader?

I am posting so I can get some feedback before I start tinkering with the reader. I am not sure I completely understood all the threads that I reviewed.

I would also like a recommendation for a good french-english dictionary to install.

I appreciate any help.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
I'm not sure about the extension.cfg (just didn't have an experience with that), but you're completely right about new fonts.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
My Sony broke down, so I decided to replace it with a Pocketbook 360. It should arrive by Friday. I have done some research and downloaded the extension.cfg to bypass the adobe reader when opeing epub and pdf files as well as a few font ttf files.

When I get the reader I plan on backing up the reader drive so I can restore if anything goes wrong.

Then I will put the ttf font files in x:system/font. Do I need to do anything else to make the fonts available in the menu?

Then I will put the extension.cfg file in X:system/config. Do I need to do anything else to activate it?

I am posting so I can get some feedback before I start tinkering with the reader. I am not sure I completely understood all the threads that I reviewed.

I would also like a recommendation for a good french-english dictionary to install.

I appreciate any help.
No nothing else to do but place the files and they will be accessible/active.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Excellent plan. This way you can always return.
I have done many interesting ... things ... to my reader (strictly software-wise!) and all I ever had to do was to connect the reader to PC and delete the config file or a program that caused a problem. To be able to do that, always do only one thing when experimenting. This way you can return step back.
As a last resort you can do a factory reset that would wipe all files from user accessible partition.
Quote:
You do not need to do anything else.
You can also install *.ttc and [:gasp:] *.otf fonts by renaming them to *.ttf
I know it sounds extremely stupid, but the software is based on Linux and other Open Source linux components, so it can handle other fonts. You just need to bypass the requirement that the font has ttf suffix.
Also, try to restrain yourself. Several hundred fonts installed (each with Regular, bold, italics and bolditalics variant) at the same time are ... not a good idea. Been there, done that
DO experiment. Some fonts that look great on paper or computer or even other readers, do not look that nice on PB, other fonts are just great. If you discover something interesting return here and report!
Quote:
Nothing else.
Have a look at the file, try to understand.
extension.cfg is also used if you want to use other reading applications, such as third-party FBReader or Coolreader. You can have long list of applications that can open the book. Then you can choose from menu. I have several versions of FBReaders installed (for testing purposes) and I can choose which one I want to use.
There are at least two distinct branches of Third party FBReader, and you want to have "stable" version available and also "bleeding edge beta" version from each one.
Quote:
Nope.
You should also prepare some themes and third-party applications.
See my rant here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...71#post1481771
and here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80518
and other threads in archive.

There is one thing you should do first.
Check what firmware you have.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: PocketBook pro 603 (Leggo IBS fw PB 2.1.3)
As for the dictionaries, try this. It should work even with PB 360
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=138
preempalver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Thanks to all for the advice. I have all the files I need for the first round of installations and feel ready to go. Now I just need the reader.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote