Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #5506
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
My typing class in high school taught that it had to be two spaces. This was on real typewriters, not computers. Computers may have changed the rules, but I haven't changed. Yet.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #5507
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yep. That's me. fff jjj fff jjj jj ff jj ff j f j f jfj fjf ddd kkk ddd kkk dd kk dd kk d k d k dkd kdk...
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #5508
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ohhh yeah. I wonder if they still practice that these days? Or if everyone is so computer literate that they are assumed to already know how to type. Even the college track was required to have typing, back in my day. The college-track typing class was full, and I got stuck in a whole year of typing instead of just one semester. I've been glad ever since!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #5509
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I had a professor that was thoroughly against double-spaces so I switched my ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Before we ever had a home PC, my wife taught me that two spaces after a period was the proper way to type. I stayed with that until bulletin boards (remember those?) and early, limited word processors broke that good habit by too many times placing one of the spaces I typed after the period and the next on the line below just before the next sentence. Now I use just one space, unless it involves something to be printed out that I want to look professional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
My typing class in high school taught that it had to be two spaces. This was on real typewriters, not computers. Computers may have changed the rules, but I haven't changed. Yet.
From what I understand, the "two spaces after the ending punctuation" rule comes from the days of monospace fonts (such as Pica [10 letters per inch]and Elite [12 letters per inch]) on typewriters. You needed two spaces after the ending punctuation to visually separate the sentences.

With the advent of commonly available proportional spaced typefaces the extra space is not needed since the punctuation with the space is enough to visually separate the sentences. However, it should still be proper to put the extra space when using a monospace typeface like Courier New for the reason in the previous paragraph.

That's the only time I put the extra space after a sentence. I follow this rule regardless of how the text will finally be rendered. As an example, I normally send plain-text e-mails and I follow this rule since the received e-mail is usually rendered with a monospace typeface.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:57 AM   #5510
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #5511
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Isn't it amazing how much you can do with Legos?

Likewise with CGI:

Old 06-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #5512
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I love the Lego ones.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:45 AM   #5513
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #5514
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

The movie is corny as heck I love it!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #5515
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Not that I'm complaining, but the "half order" of Asada Fries at my local Mexican restaurant seems to be almost the same size as the regular order, yet considerably cheaper.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #5516
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
No, I think you're wrong, I think Germany will win the World Cup.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #5517
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
While I admit I'm no arbiter of style, I wonder what my wife would think if I brought this home without first consulting her? It appeared in my email this morning, which is an indication that somebody somewhere considers me a target audience for this kind if ad. My wife is the one who normally picks out all the furniture, and her tastes run from Early to American. If anyone's curious, this is the 'Vindicator' Modern Black Leather Chair.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406388624.198817.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	125966

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-26-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: A word in my head didn't make it's way through my fingers to the page.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #5518
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Has the era of the music album come to an end? "Weird Al" Yankovic recently released his new album Mandatory Fun and during an interview on the financial show Varney & Company he indicated that this will be his last proper album, and he would be releasing singles rather than formal albums since it would allow him release his parodies in a more timely manner.

This isn't the first time he has released some songs early. Before his last album (Alpocalypse) he released an EP called Internet Leaks which contained a few songs that would later appear on Alpocalypse. He also released the parody You're Pitiful (parody of James Blunt's You're Beautiful) as a free download after Blunt's record company disapproved of the parody (Blunt approved the parody).

I think this could be the beginning of a trend where musical acts release individual songs rather than complete albums. This would be a return to the way music was often released prior to the development of the album as an album, when singles were the norm and albums were often just a collection of previously released singles rather than being conceived of as a thematic grouping like The Beatles' album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

As an example, when music of The Beatles was first released on CD one of the factors that led to a controversy is the decision to use the original U. K. albums as the basis for the CDs rather than the U. S. albums. One of the reasons this led to a controversy is that many of The Beatles earliest hits (including She Loves You) were only released as singles or as part of an EP in the U. K. Due to this, they weren't released on CD until after the original U. K. albums had been released on CD.

Although I think the musical album will still be important, I think that the single will return to importance as a significant way to release music. The development of on-line music, where you can often buy just the songs you want, makes the single once again practical for the first time since then end of the 45RPM record (when you could buy two songs for a low price).

One negative I see out of this is the elimination of the album track. There are many of my favorite songs that are considered album tracks, songs that would not be released as a A-side of a single (at most, they might be released as a B-side) but are excellent songs in their own right. Without the need to provide enough tracks for an album, many excellent songs might rejected for since they aren't needed.

An example of this is the song Trying To Get The Feeling Again by the Carpenters. The song was considered for inclusion in their album Horizon but was rejected. Decades later, a work lead (essentially a vocal draft of the song) featuring Karen Carpenter's vocals for the song was found. Production of the song was completed and included in the compilation album Interpretations. The Carpenters' version of the song features the original lyrics of the song (which were significant changed in Barry Manilow's hit version of the song). To me, this is an example of a song that likely would never had been heard, but is a song that has become one of my favorite songs.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #5519
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm afraid the long version may have fallen victim to our modern short attention span theater. The days where people would sit and listen to an entire concept album like On the Threshold of a Dream seem to be over.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:00 AM   #5520
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
An example of this is the song Trying To Get The Feeling Again by the Carpenters. The song was considered for inclusion in their album Horizon but was rejected. Decades later, a work lead (essentially a vocal draft of the song) featuring Karen Carpenter's vocals for the song was found. Production of the song was completed and included in the compilation album Interpretations. The Carpenters' version of the song features the original lyrics of the song (which were significant changed in Barry Manilow's hit version of the song). To me, this is an example of a song that likely would never had been heard, but is a song that has become one of my favorite songs.
Thanks -- I just went and ordered this CD.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
man boobs, skippy the bush kangaroo, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness