Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #76
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
I checked out the Onyx Firefly, but it seems that the lighting is inferior to other readers
I strongly protest. It is quite the opposite. The lighting of the Firefly is very good indeed. I own one, so I should know.

I know of one very sloppy review that reported negatively about the Firefly's lighting. But there was a lot of protest in the comments section from Firefly owners. Rightly so.

The lighting of the Firefly is of very good and evenly distributed quality.
It is also surprisingly powerful. Most of the time I use it on the lowest setting possible, which is more than enough to give your screen that coveted paper white quality.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #77
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
By the way, Sony ereader should have front light, Michael commented in one Goodereader post (his reliable source). Also, in a Chinese mp3 player forum, one member who works for Sony believes it will happen, too. We will know for sure very soon, hopefully within one month or two.
That gives me some hope.
I would love a SONY reader with front light.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #78
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been with Sony readers all the way from the PRS-500, and have had every single device through the T1. (I even got the 700 and 600 for about two weeks each, when I decided I couldn't live with the reduced visibility due to the touch layer). When I saw that the T2 was essentially the same as the reader I already had, while Amazon and Kobo had high-res screens with light, and Nook had a regular screen but also with a light, I decided to move to another company.

At the moment I have the Kobo Glo. Mostly because the 1.4Gb that the PW has is nowhere near enough for me, and I travel often enough that I would prefer to have all my books on me, instead of guessing what I may want to read. That's one of the primary strengths of an ereader for me - always having my library, and being able to read whatever, whenever.

Sadly, despite the really good hardware, the Glo has very poor software, it's had issues with epubs that work on everything else, crashes, randomly skips pages, and resets font size mid-book. There are a lot of small annoyances that make the reading experience worse for me.

My killer features are collection support, expendable memory (or at least 8GB built in), a high res screen and a light. If Sony can do this, and keep the rest of the reading experience the way they always have, I will be happy to give them my money and return to the readers that I have always had. It's not a huge wish list, really all I want is either a T2 or a PRS650 with a light and a better screen, and I am back in the Sony fold.

Sadly, as annoying as the rest of the Glo is, I love the better screen, and the light is a convenience that I appreciate greatly, and can't see myself giving up in my next reader.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #79
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
Sadly, despite the really good hardware, the Glo has very poor software, it's had issues with epubs that work on everything else, crashes, randomly skips pages, and resets font size mid-book. There are a lot of small annoyances that make the reading experience worse for me.
I'm so close to picking up a Kobo Glo just for the light to use at times, but issues like this really make me think again. My 350s have been rock solid since day one, both with and without PRS+ (although I wouldn't be without PRS+)... there are no issues whatsoever. None. Even badly formatted epubs work on it, I've yet to run across one that refused to open. It just works and works well, period. I don't need an extra memory slot, the 2GB is enough to store over 1500-2000 books easily, but I now only keep around 100-200 at a time. And the way it handles Collections is the best I've seen compared to other ereaders.

The thought of losing that stability and performance for the light makes me rethink the Kobo Glo every time.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #80
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Mmmmmm ...

Oh, yes please ....

Just think of it, a 3/650 with a lit screen !

That beautifully engineered case again ...........

'Course,it aint going to happen, but nice to think what might be .....

But, I ask myself, do I need a lit screen ?

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #81
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
...But, I ask myself, do I need a lit screen ?
After reading ebooks on lit screens for maybe a decade (PDA's, mainly) I wondered how not having a lit screen would affect me and, in fact, I put off getting an E Ink reader for a long time because of that concern.

However, when I took the plunge , that before there were any lit E Ink readers, I discovered that not having a lit screen was not a loss at all. It was just like in the distant past when I read paper books everywhere I ever wanted to read (which was almost anywhere) there was a light to read by - but there again, I am not a 9 year old who may want to read secretly under the bed's blankets 'cos of parent enforced "lights out" .

So, going on my experience, for me a lit device is of very low priority and would be more of a gimmick than of use. The quality of the display itself and of the software is what I would be looking for in a new reader, and if the best reader in those departments happened to be lit as well then that would just be an extra of little importance to me.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #82
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Maybe Sony will come out with a new reader with the controls that the Kobos have! You can adjust the font size with a slider, margins with a tap, and add your own fonts. Makes me want a Kobo, seeing that!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #83
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
But, I ask myself, do I need a lit screen ?
Yes, you do.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #84
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Yes, you do.
I am in the minority, both are fine. In the first three minutes of reading I wish I have lighted reader with me, but that's it, I get used to it rather quick.
We have so many ereader, we usually pick up Sony's first. I don't really know why, very little frustration we have experienced? Or, there must be something in the water.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #85
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
It has to be lit. Had it with having to fiddle with light on lighted cover constantly to avoid glare. And this is after sanding my t1 bezel.
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #86
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
And to make the wait for Sony to come out with a front-lit reader even harder, Kobo announced another new one today, the Kobo Aura HD. Not a choice for me since I want to go smaller, not bigger. But looks very impressive for anyone wanting a bit larger screen. This would probably replace the PRS-950 for size.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210800

http://www.kobo.com/koboaurahd/
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #87
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Now that looks interesting
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #88
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Now to see if the other manufacturers are going to make readers with that screen. But a mini with HD and light and card slot, that would be even better.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #89
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Kobo Aura HD looks thicker, doesn't it? Better light position?
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #90
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Do you measure thickness at thickest point, thinnest point or average thickness?
Back shape might make easier or more comfortable to hold and improve rigidity.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote