Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #61
cjrenick
cjrenick has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Literati
I just got my Pandigital from BBB yesterday. I have a Literati, but I figured for $30(after mail-in rebate) the PND would be nice to have so I could do some web browsing. The biggest issue I have found is that the text for ereading is not near as sharp and crisp as on the Literati. If I do one of the CFW will that improve? I have had to reset the PND a couple of times. It is just because I have to get use to the speed and not be so impatient. In all reality it is still not all that slow when you consider what it is. Hey, I started out with dial-up so it is already better than that.
cjrenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #62
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Do you have a link to a thread where that is discussed? To the best of my knowledge and recollection, although the B&N library/store screen is different, the reader is the same.

Please note that the open platform firmware that I'm referring to is the one that was "leaked" a week ago and not the one that was formally released a few months ago.
I think maybe it was this post:
http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?...5312#msg115312

and the fact that the reader is not listed among the apps at the top of the thread that made me think it was different.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #63
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I think maybe it was this post:
http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?...5312#msg115312

and the fact that the reader is not listed among the apps at the top of the thread that made me think it was different.
ah, I can understand the confusion.

modeuce is not quite accurate in his description of what apps are included. He mentions "B&N Bookstore" but the icon is simply labeled "B&N". When launching the app there are 3 tabs: "B&N Bookstore" (their online store), "B&N Library" (books that I've purchased/downloaded), and "My Novel" (my non-B&N books).

Tapping on a book launches the reader. The bookstore, bookshelf, and reader are a single app. They are that way with the original production firmware too. But because that app is the home screen it gets a bit confusing.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #64
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

cool. thanks for clearing that up. I might give it a shot (though truthfully I am reluctant to take off the back cover to get at the microSD)
Old 01-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #65
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
cool. thanks for clearing that up. I might give it a shot (though truthfully I am reluctant to take off the back cover to get at the microSD)
Don't be anxious about that... the cover is designed to be removed... in much the same way that a cellphone's back cover is designed to be removed to get access to the SIM card or microSD card.
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #66
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
I didn't have any problem taking the back cover off. I just had to carefully use the rounded metal lever on my nail clippers to carefully get it to start to open. In the Pandigital website instructions it mentions that the cover has an adhesive tape that needed to be loosened. The process was pretty quick and easy for me.
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #67
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
A plastic credit card works well too and less likely to do damage than metal. I actually used a plastic rewards card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookratt View Post
I didn't have any problem taking the back cover off. I just had to carefully use the rounded metal lever on my nail clippers to carefully get it to start to open. In the Pandigital website instructions it mentions that the cover has an adhesive tape that needed to be loosened. The process was pretty quick and easy for me.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #68
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Which version hack did you use......
I've got a few questions, I posted them here though
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...29681#poststop
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #69
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Brand new official 1/11 firmware. Literally just finished uploading minutes ago!!!!!!!

It's a monster at 110MB.

http://support.pandigital.net:8080/S...E_ENG_6410POP/
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:33 AM   #70
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
There's absolutely no reason take the microsd out. I know Pandigital tells you to, but I never have to no ill effect.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #71
lotrfan
Connoisseur
lotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by travfar View Post
There's absolutely no reason take the microsd out. I know Pandigital tells you to, but I never have to no ill effect.
Just to let you know that others at slatedroid have had ill effects. There is a method that allows to do it but it is slightly more involved than just removing the card.

Edit:

We I stand corrected. The original open OS did cause issues if you didn't remove the internal card but the latest one will not.

Last edited by lotrfan; 01-14-2011 at 09:21 AM.
lotrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #72
soondai
Guru

thanks guys, good to know. one other question for you slatedroiders:

I really like using Adobe Reader 10 for my PDFs. I had to flash a patch from slatedroid to alter the SDK from 5 to 8 so it would run. With the open platform FW, will Adobe Reader 10 work out of the gate?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #73
travfar
Groupie

Quote:
thanks guys, good to know. one other question for you slatedroiders:

I really like using Adobe Reader 10 for my PDFs. I had to flash a patch from slatedroid to alter the SDK from 5 to 8 so it would run. With the open platform FW, will Adobe Reader 10 work out of the gate?
I'm not sure, but I think I read something about this on slate yesterday. I believe people said that is what they do. Supposedly the Novel is great for PDF reading once it's "hacked".
Old 01-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #74
soondai
Guru

It is. I actually have Adobe 10 running on my PDN now with OEM software using one of the patches to change the SDK. But I have no idea how to do it on OP FW (if it is even required)
Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #75
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Here's the latest and greatest from "kewlguy" @ slatdroid:
Alternate WPDN Firmware Modified OP/Stock Hybrid

This has all of the benefits of the latest 1/11 OP firmware with none of the dangers of flash-looping. It also has the 2D/3D graphics, ARM11 optimization, volkey, and Google Experience/Android Market patches pre-applied.

What it took me 5 steps to accomplish manually, kewlguy does in one.