Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Textbook availability?

Hi everyone,

I'm still loving my Sony reader (I've had it for about a month now)!

I just started some classes, and I'm hoping I can locate one of my textbooks in a format that I can put on the reader. I saw that this text was available for the Kindle, so I'm optimistic that I might find it for the Sony as well. I've tried looking online with no luck, so I was wondering if you all knew of good websites to look for textbooks in ebook formats?

The specific book is:

Title: The Biochemical Basis of Neuropharmacology
Authors: Jack R. Cooper, Floyd E. Bloom, Robert H. Roth
Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA; 8th edition (October 17, 2002)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0195140087
ISBN-13: 978-0195140088

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Joanne

Last edited by PsyDocJoanne; 09-22-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: edited to add the authors of the text
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't know the availability of this textbook, but I have to warn you that if it is full of graphics (diagrams, tables, photos, etc.) then accessing it on a Reader in .pdf form may make the graphics or type size so small to be unreadable.

Ideally, all graphics would be hotlinked within the document, so instead of having text and graphics together, you would "follow the link" to the appropriate figure or table. The Sony Reader User's Guide is a great example of embedded hotlinks. Textbooks and technical papers should be reformatted that way for the Sony Reader, but convincing textbook publishers to do that may be difficult.

Otherwise, you may have to wait for a reader with a 8.5x11 size screen before being fully satisfied.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I recommend going to the publishers web site to see if they offer books in electronic form. If they do not mention it then email them. Even if they reply with a negative response you are helping the next class. They need to hear from people. They need to know that this is important to the buying public. They also need to know we are not all using Kindles.

Last edited by timezone; 09-23-2008 at 07:09 AM.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote