Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Amazon drops Canadian e-reader prices

Got an e-mail from Amazon.ca today advertising new lower prices (not sale prices) for the basic Kindle (now at $79) and Kindle Paperwhite Wi-fi (now at $129). The price for a 3G Paperwhite remains unchanged at $199.

It seems plain to me that these price drops are meant to compete with Kobo in Canada. The Paperwhite now costs the same as a Kobo Glo. (Kindle with Offers has never been available here, so the Paperwhite was previously $10 more expensive.

It's the lower end basic Kindle that I find interesting. It's now $20 cheaper then a Kobo Touch. The two devices are very similar. They have identical internal storage and displays. Is a $20 premium for a touch screen and SD Card slot worth it? (I leave aside stuff like Amazon ecosystem lock-in.)

The basic Kindle meanwhile is still $20 more expensive then the low-end Kobo Mini, which seems to now be permanently at $59 at Chapters-Indigo. The Kindle is 6", and has a better contrast E-Ink Pearl screen. The Mini, meanwhile, has a touch screen and actually has a better DPI due to its 800x600 screen being squeezed into the 5" form factor. Both readers have the same amount of non-expandable storage.

It's interesting to me. Kobo & Kindle are the only two competitors in the Canadian market, so seeing how the competition evolves is neat.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Some time ago, I remember reading on MR that support for Kindle was added to the Overdrive. That Kindle support never reached Ottawa Public Library, and I suspect the same might be true for the rest of the country. I would argue that Kobo has a decent compensation for the Amazon ecosystem at this moment, and in Canada.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I can only hope that this will lead to a price drop on the Paperwhite in the US. Then, I might have an easier time convincing my wife to let me get one.

"You already have an ereader, Lee..."
"I know, but..."
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
"I know, but..."
I feel that way about the Kobo Aura. "but you've already got a paperwhite..."

"yes, but..."

Alas, on some things, the Lord of the Exchequer has no sense of humor.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Joseph R
Zealot
Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Got an e-mail from Amazon.ca today advertising new lower prices (not sale prices) for the basic Kindle (now at $79) and Kindle Paperwhite Wi-fi (now at $129). The price for a 3G Paperwhite remains unchanged at $199.

It seems plain to me that these price drops are meant to compete with Kobo in Canada. The Paperwhite now costs the same as a Kobo Glo. (Kindle with Offers has never been available here, so the Paperwhite was previously $10 more expensive.

It's the lower end basic Kindle that I find interesting. It's now $20 cheaper then a Kobo Touch. The two devices are very similar. They have identical internal storage and displays. Is a $20 premium for a touch screen and SD Card slot worth it? (I leave aside stuff like Amazon ecosystem lock-in.)

The basic Kindle meanwhile is still $20 more expensive then the low-end Kobo Mini, which seems to now be permanently at $59 at Chapters-Indigo. The Kindle is 6", and has a better contrast E-Ink Pearl screen. The Mini, meanwhile, has a touch screen and actually has a better DPI due to its 800x600 screen being squeezed into the 5" form factor. Both readers have the same amount of non-expandable storage.

It's interesting to me. Kobo & Kindle are the only two competitors in the Canadian market, so seeing how the competition evolves is neat.
We do have The Sony, Aluratek, hipstreet..
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph R View Post
We do have The Sony, Aluratek, hipstreet..
True, but the previous poster mentioned "COMPETITORS" I view Sony as more of an underground following, but definitely one of the under-spoken ones.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
"I know, but..."

I'm able to bypass my wife giving me that lecture by selling off my older readers. I've already sold a Mini and Glo before picking up a nice shiny Aura today.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
I'm able to bypass my wife giving me that lecture by selling off my older readers.
I'd rather sell off a wife than to give up a trusted ereader
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
sell off my old ereaders?

but... but... but... my Sony 350 is so *small*. and my Kindle 3 has page turn buttons! What if my Paperwhite breaks? what would I do until a new one comes?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
sell off my old ereaders?

but... but... but... my Sony 350 is so *small*. and my Kindle 3 has page turn buttons! What if my Paperwhite breaks? what would I do until a new one comes?
Suffer through massive withdraw symptoms while racing to your computer to order a new reader ... then hoping that you can survive until the new one arrives?

Sigh. I have a Touch, Aura, and a tablet now. I really ought to consider selling the touch and possibly the tablet. (The Aura is just good enough for PDFs, so the justification of having a tablet is gone. Sigh.)
Old 04-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #11
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'd rather sell off a wife than to give up a trusted ereader
........Hmmmm.........uh, what firmware is she?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Amazon has a long history of not releasing new devices in Canada for a very long time and not selling devices to people in Canada during the holiday season. I wonder of they are planning on changing that part of their strategy.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote