Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #76
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I finished all the books, a great Trilogy.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #77
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
okay i read the trilogy... book one was a good read, something like an extreme version of Survivor.

book two was okay, but the author was clearly running out of ideas.

book three sucked.

overall, a good timewaster but two long books would have sufficed.

just my opinion.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #78
six58
six58 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
i just finished reading the three books and agree with most comments here.

i love books and movies for two entirely different reasons and want to see the movie as (like someone else said) it 'looks' good. i decided i might read the books first before viewing though and the subject interested me. i will say i am very much an adult but like the odd younger read.

i really enjoyed the first book, an easy simple read with a good basic concept. i read it in one afternoon surprising myself. so i purchased the second in eagerness but it took me almost two weeks to read it as i just couldn't get into it. finally i read the third book which was a quicker read, but partly so i could just get it over with. i did get teary at the end of the 3rd book (i'm a horrid softie and cry at nearly anything ) but overall found it quite average. it felt badly written and edited (like too many scriptwriters on a movie and too much cutting in the editing room) and seemed like it would jump forward in spits and spurts rather than a smooth arc like the first book.

anyway i still found it intriguing but it lacked in fulfilment. i guess partly what it was is that a good book will let me flesh out the characters and places in my head and while i mostly got this with the 1st book i just couldn't keep it up with book 2 and 3 and characters ended up being meaningless and faceless and didn't give me any scope to get thoroughly invested. (obviously i was invested a little from the first book to still get teary at the ending but a lot of newer characters i didn't care less about).

spoiler bit
Spoiler:
i liked the alternative ending suggested a couple pages back, that would have been a nice touch to finish as Prim. but in my mind i actually thought Katniss would start wearing the roses and take Snow's figurative place or even be a gamekeeper (wrong word?). it would be to 'protect' at first and reflect how maybe the huger games originally started with good intentions but ultimately be a cycle that can't end as hinted at but not really fleshed out so well.
six58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #79
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
I thought the books were quite good, and I really enjoyed them. Obviously preferred this series over Twilight (oh god the abuse), and I was happily recommending them to my ex-students (aged 13-16).

It is a YA novel because it introduces basic concepts to a group of people whom "wise" and "worldly" adults might find idiotic/childish. They might not have the experience and reading we have done, thus there is no basis/concept for them to fall back on.

It is kind of like how my generation grew up singing Spice Girls' "2 Become 1" with no inkling of what it means, then BAM! I learned what the song means a couple of years ago. HAH!

Anyway, a quote:
Quote:
Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow.

But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

- C.S. Lewis
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #80
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
i just finished book 3. book 1 was the best, and i enjoyed the movie. that it was filmed where i live likely has something to do with that. books 2 and 3 were worth reading once book 1 had set the stage, but definitely weaker.

i found it interesting that the violence was so extreme and graphic yet the sex was so watered down.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert