Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #16
mkelley
Enthusiast
mkelley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Uh, why should I output from OpenOffice in anything other than ODT, since Calibre reads those files directly? (Something I didn't know but found out yesterday).

I originally had tried that extension (it didn't work for me but that's another story) and then someone on the Open Office forum pointed out that Calibre took the native files, which is what I've now been doing with success. However, if there are advantages in outputting from OO in an ePub format I'd love to hear it.
mkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkelley View Post
Uh, why should I output from OpenOffice in anything other than ODT, since Calibre reads those files directly? (Something I didn't know but found out yesterday).
I was just giving you alternatives, some people have a preference and in the ereader world PDF is rarely the Go-to format. Glad to see you stumbled on calibre's ability to handle ODT files prior to my late reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkelley View Post
However, if there are advantages in outputting from OO in an ePub format I'd love to hear it.
I have no experience so can't say one way or the other. There may be more direct control if you save a ePub using the extension I just don't know.

Good Reading.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #18
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I had a similar issue with PDF->Epub conversion. The PDF was very nicely formatted with real spacing between paragraphs instead of just indentation. Calibre however turned it into one paragraph per line of the PDF, regardless which paragraph / spacing removal options you used.

I ended up converting it to properly formatted HTML myself using pdftohtml (same what Calibre uses), sed and tidy. The result was 99% perfect because I found a reliable indicator for paragraphs in the raw HTML code produced by pdftohtml. So I could just sed/replace those indicators with </p><p> to get the proper paragraphs.

Different PDF needs a different rule there though; every PDF is built differently so it's hard to come up with a routine that works for all. If Calibre doesn't work right out of the box you just might have to do it manually.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote