Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #16
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The point I'm trying to make is that just because you can't think of a reason to use that extra ability doesn't mean no one else will either. "That should be enough" is design fallacy, IMO.
Absolutely right. Has there ever been a case of a storage format whose capacity has not eventually been fully used and then replaced by one vastly larger? A card slot leaves a device open to future uses and formats which assume vastly larger capacities.

Having most people's libraries in their pocket is not even a stretch for existing cards - and storage will increase in size far faster than most of our libraries. In a couple of years 2Gb will be considered quaint.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #17
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
Having most people's libraries in their pocket is not even a stretch for existing cards - and storage will increase in size far faster than most of our libraries. In a couple of years 2Gb will be considered quaint.
Still, I'm not sure any of the current device makers are considering them a multi-year investment. Considering the speed with which the technology changes, especially now that reading devices are being considered an up-and-coming market, I think all of the current devices will be considered quaint in just a few years. How many people here are still reading on the same device they were using three years ago?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Still, I'm not sure any of the current device makers are considering them a multi-year investment. Considering the speed with which the technology changes, especially now that reading devices are being considered an up-and-coming market, I think all of the current devices will be considered quaint in just a few years. How many people here are still reading on the same device they were using three years ago?
One of the staff here is still using his first PRS-500. Another retired his only a couple months ago. I believe a third is still using her Iliad (and I think she was an early adopter).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
One of the staff here is still using his first PRS-500. Another retired his only a couple months ago. I believe a third is still using her Iliad (and I think she was an early adopter).
Yes, well. I have to confess that I'm still using my PRS-500 every day, too. I thought I was just odd.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
Yes, well. I have to confess that I'm still using my PRS-500 every day, too. I thought I was just odd.
Evidently not too odd since Sony decided to update the PrS-500. There must be a considerable number out there still.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #21
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
Absolutely right. Has there ever been a case of a storage format whose capacity has not eventually been fully used and then replaced by one vastly larger? A card slot leaves a device open to future uses and formats which assume vastly larger capacities.

I have 20TB (yes, that's TB) media server sitting next to me that I've almost filled with movies (ripped from purchased media or recorded by me), tv series, and music that's 75% full. There is no such thing as too much storage!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #22
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I agree, Amazon needs to immediately issue a firmware update for the K2 to grow a memory slot
This.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #23
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
There is an urban legend that we should keep in mind. Bill Gates is reputed to have said that 640k RAM is enough for anyone. How much RAM do you have right now?
Aside from the fact that the quote is false, it's not a comparable situation. A computer is built from the ground up a multipurpose device; a dedicated ebook reader is a focused device. So maybe you'll put PDF's on it, but chances are slim to none that you'll use a Kindle 3 to watch HD movies. Even PDF's are relatively small documents; i.e. it isn't that difficult to predict likely capacity needs for the next generation or so of ebook devices.

To wit: Let's say ebooks roll in at 1mb, and PDF's at 5mb. If you have 7gb of storage space, that means over 7,000 ebooks, or about 1,400 PDF's, or some combination thereof (e.g. 1,000 ebooks + 1,000 PDF's). Call me crazy, but I think the overwhelming majority of ebook reader users can survive with numbers like that in between hooking up their Kindles to their computers.

By the way, I don't recall a lot of people referring to Apple as "stupid" for not putting a SD slot into iPods and iPhones -- devices that could definitely use "endless" capacity, far more than ebook readers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
The point I'm trying to make is that just because you can't think of a reason to use that extra ability doesn't mean no one else will either. "That should be enough" is design fallacy, IMO.
Any design involves choices and compromises.

Do you want capacity or simplicity? Low weight and slim profile, or a user-replaceable battery? High QC or low cost? Fast CPU or longer battery life?

You can't build a good focused device while accounting for every single last contingency and whim your customers will want. Do that, and you end up with something overbuilt or bogged down by feature creep.

Again, I do think that "more is better," but unless there is some genuine need to carry the equivalent of the Library of Congress with you at all times, I don't think people need limitless storage on their portable devices.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote