Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Doju
Doju began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle 2 in Canada - some questions

Hi, I'm interested in buying a Kindle 2, and I'm Canadian.

1. I notice on Amazon's Kindle page they say all NYT Best Sellers are available for $9.99 or less, including new releases. It then says wireless delivery to your Kindle costs $2 (so I see why B&N has cheaper eBooks, they don't have wireless charges).

So I said okay, I'll buy it from my computer, it won't have to use the network for wireless. But then it still says it wants $11.60 ($2 plus the $9.60). Huh? And then even stranger, it says free wireless delivery. So why am I getting $2 charges? That adds up!

2. If I decide to get ebooks from other sources (say I buy it from another source and put it on my computer, then drag and drop to Kindle), will it still use Whispernet to sync that to my Kindle for iPhone, and keep the page as well? What about annotations?

ie: I download an article I want to read in .PDF format to my computer, drag and drop to Kindle. If I now go on my iPhone, will it send that to my iPhone, free of charge? What about if I start reading a couple pages of it on my iPhone, despite not being bought from Amazon will it send the page I'm on back to my Kindle?

3. If I buy it in Canada off the site, it says free shipping. So it will just be $259 + tax?

4. Is there refurbished Kindles available in Canada?

5. What's Barnes and Noble's selection of ebooks like in Canada? I see a lot of books and they're priced cheaper than Kindle, but are those even available for download in Canada?

6. What's the likelihood of a Kindle 3 being released soon? I'm at least waiting till February to buy, due to the rumors of a Jan. 26 Apple Tablet/ebook thing release.

7. Canada doesn't have the browser right? Can I hack that on somehow? What about Wikipedia and dictionary definitions?

8. How does the Kindle work as an MP3 player?

9. What's the coverage of the Whispernet in Canada? Is there a chance I won't have coverage? (Nova Scotian.)

10. Anything else I should know about Kindles in Canada?

Thanks a lot guys, I like to do a lot of research before I drop the money on a product. :P
Doju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Okay, doju........some excellent questions there.

For the best answers, I'd suggesting contacting kindle support Canada directly........have your list of questions in front of you....and if they don't have the answers, make them find someone who does! (yes.....that can happen!)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Amazon.ca does not provide support nor sell Kindles. You'll have to use Amazon.com. The short answer is Amazon.com has different prices for sometimes identical merchandise in different regions. Canadians pay $2 per title for (non-optional) wireless delivery.

If you log in to Amazon.com, with your Canadian account info, Amazon filters what you can buy (and often, but not always) what you can see for sale. In that mode, the price you see already has the $2 baked in.

Newspapers and magazine are stripped of all images and tables; but then again, the Kindle DX is not currently sold to a Canadian account.

If you create an order there is no free shipping for a Kindle. Amazon.com does not ship anything free to Canada.

Barnes and Noble will not sell a Nook in Canada either.

Whispernet works in 100 countries around the world. I used it last week on the Pacific coast of Mexico. It will work in Halifax for sure; it uses 3G and can call back to GSM (Rogers is the rumoured partner for AT&T for Amazon).

The Kindle 2 works really well as described on Amazon.com provided you make note of the non-US configuration (like no web browsing, but wikipedia works). With the leather case (highly recommended), international shipping, taxes and exchange, the US$259 works out to abt Can$350.

www.kindle.com has very clear info -- click on the link on the main page "Live Outside the U.S.?" and select Canada.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 01-03-2010 at 06:59 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
To answer #2, if you purchase a book from another source you will not be able to use wispersync with that book. You can put it in your Kindle though they USB but that is it. You will not be able to use it on your iPhone and you will not be able to use the "sync the furthest page read" feature that allows you to read the same book on multiple devices and always be on the same spot.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Msan
Enthusiast
Msan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Glow, iPad3
I'm in Canada and have the Kindle 2.

The Kindle works great here.. as for point 7, the only thing you can do wirelessly is browse the Amazon site or look up stuff in Wikipedia.

If you can get a cell signal, then your kindle should connect fine whereever you are. And yes, it can play MP3's..
Msan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert