Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
Laurawrites
Researcher and Writer
Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Calibre Question

I downloaded Calibre after reading so many positive reviews on the internet for the software. I have been reading through the documentation and had a question. I can't find any information on it anywhere else.

I run a not-for-profit ebook site (AppalachianGothic.com). I offer various books in both fiction and nonfiction for free, but have always been limited to the .pdf format. I am searching for a program that will let me offer a variety of formats for my readers who may be using reading devices and not just an Acrobat reader.

Is it possible to upload the converted files to my server for my readers? I came across the section that mentioned Calibre creates your own library and manages it for you, is it possible to either zip the related files and FTP them to the server or just upload them regularly? I hoped to offer EPUB format as well as PDF, and perhaps other formats if possible.

Thank you very much.
Laurawrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes, it is.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Laurawrites
Researcher and Writer
Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Laurawrites once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Wow! Thanks for the prompt reply!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurawrites View Post
Is it possible to upload the converted files to my server for my readers? I came across the section that mentioned Calibre creates your own library and manages it for you, is it possible to either zip the related files and FTP them to the server or just upload them regularly? I hoped to offer EPUB format as well as PDF, and perhaps other formats if possible.
The connect to folder operation is ideal for this. Is it to create a folder of ebooks you want on your server, then copy them however you want.

I use calibre2opds to generate a sub-website for my library, then copy that subsite to a dropbox folder. That folder is shared with my server, so the new site automatically arrives. My site has a link to the subsite/library, so changes are automatically seen. I don't mind having an unbranded library subsite, so this works very well and is very easy to maintain.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
Laurawrites
Researcher and Writer

Thank you, Chaley!

I will have to try that. I'm currently still working on the conversion process. I'm trying to go from .pdfs to Epubs and have figured everything out, but some lines at the beginning. The conversion process inserts a column of blank lines between the title text and the actual start of the work. Aside from that, though, it looks good so far.

I didn't know if this issue might've been previously addressed (and I overlooked it) so I didn't start a new thread.
Advert