Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
PinkTissue
PinkTissue has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Hanlin V3
Regarding the 'default' language

I have just discovered how to solve my language 'bug' for my English ebooks saved in txt file. For a long time, I have been plauged by 'Chinese' characters that appear in my English txt files - they do not appear all the time but in about 50% of my files. To overcome this, I saved my English files in doc form - not really ideal as they have to be saved in font 20 before they could be read.

My country has finally imported Hanlin ebook readers (they called it Eco-Reader) and I was fiddling with one at a shop slightly perturbed as the display of the font/resolution seemed to be different from my Hanlin. And suddenly, I have an Einstein moment where a lightbulb literally appeared on topof my head.

The default language that arrived with my set is set in Simplified Chinese. I never did go around changing the 'default' language since it could read English text. On a hunch, I changed the 'default' language to English, all those pesky Chinese characters in my English txt files disappear and the font and resolution of the English txt is so much better.

The catch is that for me to read Chinese files, I would need to change the default language to Chinese again since the reader would not be able to read the Chinese files if it is set in English. But I would gladly toggle the default language of the ebook reader if it leads to improved font/resolution.

If you read your ebooks in different languages, you may just want to experiment setting the 'default' language of your ebook reader and set it to the native language of the document you want to read. It may just lead to some pleasant surprises.
PinkTissue is offline   Reply With Quote