Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
manchuia
Connoisseur
manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: In under a month I will have had both Sonys and a Kindle
Browser issues

Well for some reason my browser wont pull up pages. It's not that the network connection doesn't work as the kindle store updates and my daily magazines / blogs all update fine. It's just anything with the browser seems to fail.

I have narrowed it down to the inability of the browser to actually populate anything in the URL section. No matter what I type it disappears and the browser just brings up blank. This goes for bookmarks, home page, manually entered in items, wikipedia, and search through the menu / search symbol.

I am hoping someone knows of a way I can do a hard reset on the kindle (or wipe it clean) as this is a major issue for me (part of the reason I bought the thing). I have turned it off /on. I have allowed the battery to run out, and I am basically out of ideas.

Any help is always appreciated.
manchuia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
For a hard reset, remove the back cover from the Kindle. Take a paper clip and insert it into the hole labeled "reset". This will not wipe your Kindle clean.

If the hard reset doesn't work, you should put a call into Amazon and have them help you out.

Let us know if the reset works.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
manchuia
Connoisseur
manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

That did it!

I believe the problem was caused when I tried to update a FeedBook newspaper and it basically timed out without inserting a URL. The browser got hung in this state and a full reset seems to have gotten it out of its funk.

I hope this information helps someone else as well
Old 09-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Good deal! Thanks for the update.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
manchuia
Connoisseur

Yeah so I repeated the process (I am a computer guy .. I like to test).

If you put the kindle into standby (Alt + Aa) or turn off, or it turns itself off while a book is downloading through the browser (happens with Feedbook updates) it will "freeze" the browser so that only the last page is displayed and all others will be "unable to connect". This persists through restarts, power drains, and turn offs.

A "hard" reset resolves the issue.
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
neilm2
Enthusiast
neilm2 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Sony Reader
I had the same issue. For me, the hard reset didn't solve it. I cleared my cache, and did a hard reset again. Still no luck. None of my bookmarks loaded a page, but it seemed like the browser thought it loaded something. On a hunch I hit the "stop" option inside the browser menu. For some strange reason that broke the logjam and the browser started working normally after that.
neilm2 is offline   Reply With Quote