Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
Rico
Not Even Close To a Geek!
Rico began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Question Help -USB only connection to PC that works

It seems that the only way I can connect the iLiad to my PC is using the USB cable.

Using an ethernet cable into the router doesn't work.

Wirelessly doesn't work either.

In both cases it flashes "connecting" for about ten minutes before it shows "unsuccessful."

Although it does connect to IDS wired or wirelessly.

The iLiad has firmware 2.12
The PCs OS is XP Media Edition.

I've been trying to solve this since I received it about ten days ago.

Rico
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The network connection sounds like it's fine since you can connect to IDS. It's probably something in the sharing/authentication of the directory on your PC that it's trying to access. Do you have another computer on the network, and can it see the directory you're sharing using the same login/password as the iLiad? Was the directory on the PC created/owned by the same user that you have configured on the iLiad?

Getting the iLiad to talk to the PC over a network is probably the trickiest thing to get setup right with these devices. It can be confusing if you're not familiar with Windows networking.

The fact that it takes 10 minutes sounds like it's not an immediate failure (like a wrong password, etc), but rather more like something is timing out while it's trying to access the PC. Is there anything in any of the Windows Event logs that sounds related?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Rico
Not Even Close To a Geek!
Rico began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
The network connection sounds like it's fine since you can connect to IDS. It's probably something in the sharing/authentication of the directory on your PC that it's trying to access. Do you have another computer on the network, and can it see the directory you're sharing using the same login/password as the iLiad?
Heh. I only know enough about networking that I was able to set up the wireless router so I have internet access throughout the house.
I do have another PC on the network. But when I go to the shared files, it only shows the shared files on that PC, my router and network camera. I don't know how to fix it so the other PC's shared files show.

Quote:
Was the directory on the PC created/owned by the same user that you have configured on the iLiad?
I took the folder that the companion software created and entered that into the iLiad. Is that what you mean? I'm the only one using the PC & iLiad.

Quote:
Getting the iLiad to talk to the PC over a network is probably the trickiest thing to get setup right with these devices. It can be confusing if you're not familiar with Windows networking.
Heh Heh. You're preaching to the choir, my friend!

Quote:
The fact that it takes 10 minutes sounds like it's not an immediate failure (like a wrong password, etc), but rather more like something is timing out while it's trying to access the PC. Is there anything in any of the Windows Event logs that sounds related?
Windows Event Logs? Where are those?

Rico
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote