Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #166
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
The screensaver hack isn't working for me (update is greyed out) so can I assume that the kindle has been correctly jailbroken? I did the press on the left corner on that document and it said my kindle was being liberated etc, but maybe it hasn't worked?
First: please clearly specify what you are talking about. "The screensaver hack" isn't enough. Second, see knc1's comment above. And third, please keep this thread on-topic, i.e., don't diverge into what a jailbreak can or can't do.

No, we're not assholes - we are trying to help you. But you will get much more meaningful answers if you ask your questions in the correct threads.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #167
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
First: please clearly specify what you are talking about. "The screensaver hack" isn't enough. Second, see knc1's comment above. And third, please keep this thread on-topic, i.e., don't diverge into what a jailbreak can or can't do.

No, we're not assholes - we are trying to help you. But you will get much more meaningful answers if you ask your questions in the correct threads.
OK, I thought I was clear for you guys but apparently not. My thread was on topic as I was asking if the jailbreak (your jailbreak) had worked, because as a second step, I was not getting the screensaver hack to work.

As NiLuJe will attest, I have been jailbreaking my kindles for quite some years (since 2009, I've been here a while) and he has been very helpful. I do *get* the multi stage process.

Anyway, I sorted it out.
Spoiler:
On the SS thread it says to copy the python root first, but that was not being recognised as the update was greyed out. Seems you dont need to do that anyway for the SS to work once your jailbreak has been used.. Or is that too
Sorry, I am not being a smart a either but dont think your response was all that helpful, or pleasant.

Last edited by Pushka; 12-07-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #168
mossfoot
Fuzzy Knight
mossfoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch PRS-600
Just had to thank you for an insanely easy jailbreak!
mossfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #169
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You can safely update from any previous PW version - jailbroken or not - to 5.3.1.

I highly recommend to re-apply the jailbreak once you're on version 5.3.1. This will make sure that all the required files are in place, even if the firmware update wiped them.
I did it, and everything is OK...

Previously I remove screensavers hack, and later I apply it again and works fine...
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #170
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I tried the jailbreak and the collections manager last night. Wow. Blew me away!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #171
snickle
snickle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
jailbreak said it succeeded, but saw failure in log.

10:07:41 Installing rescue pack (main) ...
10:07:42 Installing rescue pack (diags) ...
10:07:43 OK
10:07:44 Backed up diags passwords to /etc/shadow.before_rescue_pack on diags partition
10:07:44 Installing rescue pack (diags) ...
10:07:47 FAILED
10:07:48 OK
10:07:49 Unable to mount diags partition
10:07:49 CLEANING UP
10:07:51 Removing obsolete files ...
10:07:53 OK
10:07:54 JAILBREAK FAILED
10:07:54 JAILBREAK SUCCEEDED :-)

Second time this:

10:14:44 Installing rescue pack (main) ...
10:14:47 OK
10:14:48 Installing rescue pack (diags) ...
10:14:50 Not touching diags password file because previous backup exists
10:14:53 OK

I am guessing I am good. Hard for me to tell as a seem to have screwed up the usbnetwork piece. But that is a different thread.
snickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #172
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickle View Post
jailbreak said it succeeded, but saw failure in log.

10:07:41 Installing rescue pack (main) ...
10:07:42 Installing rescue pack (diags) ...
10:07:43 OK
10:07:44 Backed up diags passwords to /etc/shadow.before_rescue_pack on diags partition
10:07:44 Installing rescue pack (diags) ...
10:07:47 FAILED
10:07:48 OK
10:07:49 Unable to mount diags partition
10:07:49 CLEANING UP
10:07:51 Removing obsolete files ...
10:07:53 OK
10:07:54 JAILBREAK FAILED
10:07:54 JAILBREAK SUCCEEDED :-)

Second time this:

10:14:44 Installing rescue pack (main) ...
10:14:47 OK
10:14:48 Installing rescue pack (diags) ...
10:14:50 Not touching diags password file because previous backup exists
10:14:53 OK

I am guessing I am good. Hard for me to tell as a seem to have screwed up the usbnetwork piece. But that is a different thread.
That is a very weird log file - looks like you accidentally ran the jailbreak twice concurrently. That should be prevented by using a lock file, but if you start it twice fast enough, there may still be a race condition somewhere.

Anyway, your second log confirms that all should be good.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #173
kindleBunny
Bunny
kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 Wifi
wow

You are amazing, ixtab. Thanks so much.
kindleBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #174
snahfu
snahfu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
can i reinstall the jailbreak a 2nd time if i think i messed up. or do i need to delete files
snahfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #175
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snahfu View Post
can i reinstall the jailbreak a 2nd time if i think i messed up. or do i need to delete files
Read the first post again. "It is safe to re-apply the procedure as many times as you want".

PS: It is considered polite to use correct capitalization and punctuation, like question marks.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #176
snahfu
snahfu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Thanks
snahfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #177
Matthew Standley
Matthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l / Kindle Paperwhite (using Japanese/English)
Pardon my ignorance, but I would be grateful if someone would explain very briefly why I might want to jailbreak my Kindle Paperwhite and what that would do for me.

If there is already a summary of those answers, I would be interested in reading it so please post the link if it's not too much bother.

With thanks.
Matthew Standley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #178
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hi. once you have it broken?

you can run most code you can find on here (with some button /launcher/ hardware caveats)

it can run 3, 4,5 code

so yeah, all kinds of things...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180113

dig around in there and see if there is anything you want.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #179
az99
az99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Standley View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but I would be grateful if someone would explain very briefly why I might want to jailbreak my Kindle Paperwhite and what that would do for me.

If there is already a summary of those answers, I would be interested in reading it so please post the link if it's not too much bother.

With thanks.
Go back to post 149 and 150. It is top secret.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #180
ixtab
(offline)

Here is an answer I just posted containing two concrete examples for things that you can do with the jailbreak, but not without it.

There are many more examples, as twobob pointed out above. In short, it gives you full access to the device and allows you to customize it in whichever way you please. ... Yes, there is a reason why it's termed "jailbreak"

And yes, this is already (briefly) explained in the README.