Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
Pingu
Enthusiast
Pingu began at the beginning.

Device: none
How long is a book sample?

Anyone familiar with how long book samples are from Amazon?
Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Typically seem to be around 10% of the book.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I have had two sapmples. one was about 4 pages, the other about 10 pages. (both books would be around 200 printed pages.)
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #4
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
You can see for yourself. You can look at the samples on your computer or smart phone. Check out the free kindle apps. http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000493771
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:41 AM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Sometimes samples are useful and sometimes not so much. But I think they are worth looking at, particularly before purchasing an expensive book, because they give you an idea of how well (or not) formatted the book is. There have been lots of book samples which have put me off buying a book due to the style of writing and a few because of poor formatting. But also I've read some samples which have been excellent and I've gone and bought the book immediately.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 04:01 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I had a sample once that was only the Table of Contents!
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:34 AM   #7
Bill Lumburgh
Enthusiast
Bill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipse

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
There have been lots of book samples which have put me off buying a book due to the style of writing and a few because of poor formatting. But also I've read some samples which have been excellent and I've gone and bought the book immediately.
Same here. I think samples are a great feature. I often download samples based on recommendations or water cooler talk and check them out when I have a few minutes. Usefulness really varies though. Sometimes you get just a couple of pages which tell you nothing because you don't know the characters and what's happening if you don't have the Amazon page in front of you.

And sometimes you get an entire chapter which can ruin the experience a bit if you decide to buy the book because it's often not the first chapter.
Bill Lumburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
Pingu
Enthusiast
Pingu began at the beginning.

Device: none
It sounds variable!!

Thanks for the help.
Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I had a sample once that was only the Table of Contents!
Yes, I had one that was just a long list of acknowledgements and dedications.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:50 AM   #10
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
i find samples next to useless, 99% of the samples I've downloaded do not get passed the forward which is written by a different author! So they usually give no indication what the content of a book is like.
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:14 AM   #11
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Before I bought the ebook "Just Kids" I looked at the sample on Kindle and Borders. Neither sample was enough to warn me that the ebook did not contain the photographs that the original book has, and contained minor format errors.

Anyway, even if you have a lengthy sample - how do you know it is not a sample from the 'real book' and not the ebook?
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Of the books whose samples get past the forwards and acknowledgements, I find them useful.

I can't stand certain writing styles so the sample gives me a chance to do just as promised: sample the content for "personal compatibility."
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote