Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
James, Henry: Complete Works | v.2.0 | update 6 Nov 2016

“Please tell me what you find in Henry James. ...we have his works here, and I read, and I can't find anything but faintly tinged rose water, urbane and sleek, but vulgar and pale as Walter Lamb. Is there really any sense in it?” Virginia Woolf in a letter to Lytton Strachey, Octobre 22, 1915.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jamesworks.jpg
Views:	1354
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	89646

This volume collects the complete writings of Henry James (wikipedia) and it is HUGE: 23 novels, 112 stories and novellas, 12 plays, 6 books with travelogues, 10 with critical essays and 3 autobiographies. My reader counts about 13,500 pages and here’s what you’ll find inside:

THE NOVELS
Watch and Ward, Roderick Hudson, The American, The Europeans, Confidence, Washington Square, The Portrait of a Lady, The Bostonians, The Princess Casamassima, The Reverberator, The Tragic Muse, The Other House, The Spoils of Poynton, What Maisie Knew, The Awkward Age, The Sacred Fount, The Wings of the Dove, The Ambassadors, The Golden Bowl, The Outcry, The Whole Family, The Ivory Tower, The Sense of the Past

THE TALES
A Tragedy of Error, The Story of a Year, A Landscape-Painter, A Day of Days, My Friend Bingham, Poor Richard, The Story of a Masterpiece, The Romance of Certain Old Clothes, A Most Extraordinary Case, A Problem, De Grey: A Romance, Osborne’s Revenge, A Light Man, Gabrielle de Bergerac, Travelling Companions, A Passionate Pilgrim, At Isella, Master Eustace, Guest’s Confession, The Madonna of the Future, The Sweetheart of M. Briseux, The Last of the Valerii, Madame de Mauves, Adina, Professor Fargo, Eugene Pickering, Benvolio, Crawford’s Consistency, The Ghostly Rental, Four Meetings, Thédolinde or Rose-Agathe, Daisy Miller, Longstaff’s Marriage, An International Episode, The Pension Beaurepas, The Diary of a Man of Fifty, A Bundle of Letters, The Point of View, The Siege of London, The Impressions of a Cousin, Lady Barbarina, The Author of Beltraffio, Pandora, Georgina’s Reasons, A New England Winter, The Path of Duty, Cousin Maria or Mrs Temperly, Louisa Pallant, The Aspern Papers, The Liar, Two Countries or The Modern Warning, A London Life, The Lesson of the Master, The Patagonia, The Solution, The Pupil, Brooksmith, The Marriages, The Chaperon, Sir Edmund Orme, Nona Vincent, The Private Life, The Real Thing, Lord Beaupré, The Visits, Jersey Villas or Sir Dominick Ferrand, Collaboration, Greville Fane, The Wheel of Time, Owen Wingrave, The Middle Years, The Death of the Lion, The Coxon Fund, The Altar of the Dead, The Next Time, The Figure in the Carpet, Glasses, The Way it Came or ‘The Friends of the Friends’, John Delavoy, The Turn of the Screw, In the Cage, Covering End, The Given Case, The Great Condition, Europe, Paste, The Real Right Thing, The Great Good Place, Maud-Evelyn, Miss Gunton of Poughkeepsie, The Special Type, The Tree of Knowledge, The Abasement of the Northmores, The Third Person, The Tone of Time, Broken Wings, The Faces or The Two Faces, Mrs. Medwin, The Beldonald Holbein, The Story in It, Flickerbridge, The Beast in the Jungle, The Birthplace, The Papers, Fordham Castle, Julia Bride, The Jolly Corner, The Velvet Glove, Mora Montravers, Crapy Cornelia, The Bench of Desolation, A Round of Visits

THE PLAYS
Pyramus And Thisbe, Still Waters, A Change of Heart, Daisy Miller, Tenants, Disengaged, The Album, The Reprobate, Guy Domville, Summersoft, The High Bid, The Outcry

THE TRAVEL WRITING
Transatlantic Sketches, Portraits of Places, A Little Tour in France, English Hours, The American Scene, Italian Hours

THE CRITICISM
French Novelists and Poets, Hawthorne, Partial Portraits, Essays in London and Elsewhere, Picture and Text, William Wetmore Story and his Friends [see update v.2.0], Views and Reviews, Notes on Novelists, Within the Rim and Other Essays, Notes and Reviews, The Art of the Novel

THE AUTOBIOGRAPHIES
A Small Boy and Others, Notes of a Son and Brother, The Middle Years

I have thoroughly checked and corrected the formatting, comparing it to print editions wherever available. Special classes have been assigned to poems, quotes, subtitles, section breaks, etc. Quotes are curly, footnotes are active, fonts are embedded for small caps and special characters. Illustrations are currently embedded in only two of the books, I might restore them in the others in a future update.

I have tried to make sure that the texts have their italics (because Henry James loves italics). For a lot of books that meant converting upper case letters to italics, but as I couldn’t always find proper source texts, I have restored them manually in five novels and 15 tales, so now all of the novels and tales and most of the other books have them.

The collection is sorted by literary genres. There are tables of contents for the collection, the genres and all of the books. The headlines above the titles link back to the higher tables. After each text/chapter, there are links to get back to the respective tables.

And, of course, one book is missing. I couldn’t find “William Wetmore Story and his Friends” anywhere and will update this collection when I do.

I didn’t know what I got myself into when I started it, but now that it’s finished, I hope you’ll enjoy reading this edition.

Best,
pynch.

Update v.1.1 | 18 Dec 2012.
Corrected the embedded fonts so they support the newly displayed ligatures in ADE now.

Update v.1.2 | 28 Nov 2014.
Proofed 4 tales (‘The Middle Years,’ ‘The Death of the Lion,’ ‘The Coxon Fund,’ and ‘The Altar of the Dead’) against Terminations, William Heinemann 1895 (2nd ed.), and corrected hundreds of mistakes and variants.

Update v.1.3 | 28 Feb 2016.
Proofed one novel and 65 tales against their first British book publications: Daisy Miller: A Study, etc. (Macmillan & Co., 1879 (2nd ed.)), The Madonna of the Future, and Other Tales (Macmillan & Co., 1879, 2 vols.), Washington Square, etc. (Macmillan & Co., 1881, 2 vols.), The Collective Edition Vols. 11 and 12 (Macmillan & Co., 1883), Tales of Three Cities (Macmillan & Co., 1884), Stories Revived (Macmillan & Co., 1885, 3 vols.), The Aspern Papers, etc. (Macmillan & Co., 1888), A London Life, etc. (Macmillan & Co., 1889), The Lesson Of The Master, etc. (Macmillan & Co., 1892), The Real Thing, etc. (Macmillan & Co., 1893), The Private Life, etc. (James R. Osgood, McIlvaine & Co., 1893), Embarrassments (William Heinemann, 1897), The Two Magics (William Heinemann, 1898), In the Cage (Duckworth & Co., 1898). Thousands of mistakes and variants were corrected.

Update v.1.4 | 16 Oct 2016.
I have proofed Confidence, The Portrait Of A Lady, The Bostonians, The Other House, The Spoils Of Poynton, What Maisie Knew, The Awkward Age, The Sacred Fount, The Wings Of The Dove, The Ambassadors, The Golden Bowl, The Outcry, The Whole Family, The Ivory Tower, and The Sense Of The Past against early British and American edition. Thousands of mistakes and variants were corrected.

Update v.2.0 | 6 Nov 2016.
I could finally add the last missing book, William Wetmore Story and his Friends, to the collection, which GrannyGrump has kindly proofread for us.

Previous Download Count: 2419.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Complete Henry James v2.0.epub (15.40 MB, 1698 views)

Last edited by pynch; 11-06-2016 at 02:53 AM.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
Everything you make is always wonderful. Waiting for you next project.
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Mmmh! I dropped fast The Ambassadors in the feedbook version to take up yours. I was a little worried about the bulk, so switched all the pieces I had to my Archive Calibre library (which already contained the illustrated Tour in France), but that was unnecessary: it reads on my more than half full PRS-T1 like any 300 kb small epub. So I'll drop the pieces from the Archive too.

One thing I appreciate in your productions is the margins - I hate those thin margins where the shadow of the borders, though narrow on the PRS-T1, encroach on the text.

Thanks again
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’m glad you two like it. And it’s good to hear that in spite of the enormity of the file it doesn’t slow things down, as I would not have liked to split it up.

I also think that the bigger margins make it easier to read the books, it just feels right. But for those of you who prefer them smaller: you can easily change them in the stylesheet (and not in every single html-file as in those calibred epubs).

By the way, the next project will be the complete fictional works of Ambrose Bierce.

Best, pynch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Mmmh! I dropped fast The Ambassadors in the feedbook version to take up yours. I was a little worried about the bulk, so switched all the pieces I had to my Archive Calibre library (which already contained the illustrated Tour in France), but that was unnecessary: it reads on my more than half full PRS-T1 like any 300 kb small epub. So I'll drop the pieces from the Archive too.

One thing I appreciate in your productions is the margins - I hate those thin margins where the shadow of the borders, though narrow on the PRS-T1, encroach on the text.

Thanks again
Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
By the way, the next project will be the complete fictional works of Ambrose Bierce.
Now this is something I'll be looking forward to. Thanks for all your work.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Thank you, Pynch, for all your hard work. I am looking forward to enjoying a Jamesfest :-)
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First of all, Pynch, my deepest thanks for this prodigious contribution to the library. I love Henry James and it is amazing to have all his work collected into the one volume.
Unfortunately I'm having a problem with the current volume, which I've just downloaded.
When I open it either in Adobe DE or with the Calibre viewer, some of the ligatures appear to be missing and I can't tell whether it's something to do with the epub or the config of my own system. There was also a problem with a recent Microsoft update which affected the display of certain types of fonts, so it might be that.
With ADE, all occurrences of 'Th' seem to be missing; with Calibre, 'Th' is there but 'fi' is missing.
Can anyone else confirm this, please? Or, indeed, that everything is present and correct with the current file?
Thanks,
bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:28 AM   #8
pynch
why in?

The newest ADE seems to display ligatures while the older versions didn’t. Your system is fine, the embedded fonts are the problem. I will upload an update soon with corrected fonts.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #9
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the swift reply and the explanation - I'm glad that for once it's not my creaky old pc!
I'll await the update.
Thanks again,
bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 AM   #10
pynch
why in?

Update v.1.1 | 18 Dec 2012.

Here’s the new version with corrected fonts which support the newly displayed ligatures in ADE.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #11
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
"William Wetmore Story and His Friends" is available on archive.org. Several editions, actually.

1903 edition in two volumes, digitized by Google, whose OCR is usually pretty horrid.
http://archive.org/details/williamwetmores04jamegoog/
http://archive.org/details/williamwetmores00jamegoog/

1916 edition in two volumes, digitized by archive.org, and their OCR is usually somewhat better.
http://archive.org/details/williamwetmorest01jame/
http://archive.org/details/williamwetmorest02jame/

If you decide to use any of these, I recommend you to download the TXT file to work with, their ePubs are sometimes loaded with a lot of extraneous code.

Just when you thought you had finished ...

---
Edited: fix broken URL

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 12-18-2012 at 03:24 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
pynch
why in?

Proof-reading is not really my favourite cup of tea, especially if complete books are concerned, but I know that someone’s working on this one, so there might be an update soon.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #13
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Fantastic, pynch - I have just downloaded it and look forward to catching up with works I haven't read as well as those I have.

Thank you!!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:19 AM   #14
pynch
why in?

Update v.1.2 | 28 Nov 2014.

I have proofed four tales (‘The Middle Years,’ ‘The Death of the Lion,’ ‘The Coxon Fund,’ and ‘The Altar of the Dead’) against Terminations, William Heinemann 1895 (2nd ed.), and corrected hundreds of mistakes and variants. Please let me know if you find any mistakes in them.

Henry James often heavily revised his texts when he supervised the release of new editions. Usually, you’ll find the versions of the 1912 New York Edition online (and in this collection), but I intend to restore most of them to the versions of earlier book editions. Might take some time, though (Think decades!).

Last edited by pynch; 02-21-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:39 AM   #15
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Dear Pynch,

It would be a pity to lose your work on James' latest versions. I know this epub is big enough as is, but couldn't you keep a separate epub with the latest versions as you eliminate them from your preferred earlier versions "complete works"?

Thank you again.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote