Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
Fmstrat
G:RSS-Web Creator
Fmstrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW, Nexus 4,10
For anyone that this really aggravates, like myself, just hold the power button for 7 seconds. After 5 seconds the green light will blink, then go out, and at about the count of 7 the screen will go white. Whala.

Last edited by Fmstrat; 09-13-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Fmstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...3.new.html#new

Hmm
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #18
Fmstrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Going a bit deeper, looks like this is a shell hack:

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...t83YHIpZq_Y8Xw
Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #19
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmstrat View Post
Going a bit deeper, looks like this is a shell hack:

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...t83YHIpZq_Y8Xw
We already know about this route. It isn't very practical because you need to have the special adapter PCB made and have the USB serial dongle as well. That will rule out nearly all the owners of Kindle 3s.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #20
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is this a good thing?
I posted all this, along with the guy's website in the Developer's area.
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #21
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Is this a good thing?
I posted all this, along with the guy's website in the Developer's area.
Its not very useful for general users because you need all that hardware to do it. Its not like the older Kindle hacks which you could do by just copying the files to the Kindle drive.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #22
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Its not very useful for general users because you need all that hardware to do it. Its not like the older Kindle hacks which you could do by just copying the files to the Kindle drive.
It is quite ridiculous that Amazon have gone this far in stopping us having the screensavers. Sods.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
Fmstrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
We already know about this route. It isn't very practical because you need to have the special adapter PCB made and have the USB serial dongle as well. That will rule out nearly all the owners of Kindle 3s.
Ahh somehow missed that. Guess I'm used to the console days where building a PCB wasn't a big deal
Old 09-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #24
alpine
alpine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I've just emailed kindle-feedback@amazon.com to add my voice to the hundreds of requests that are hopefully being made. The default set of pictures is AWFUL. As someone else has said, at least give us the option of just having the Kindle tree...
alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #25
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmstrat View Post
Ahh somehow missed that. Guess I'm used to the console days where building a PCB wasn't a big deal
If you've got any sort of electronics experience then connecting to the serial port on the K3 is easy. The "hard" part is getting the little PCB made or finding something to modify like hondamarlboro did. Once you have that then it is a simple task of modifying a 3.3V TTL RS232 adapter for 1.8V operation and connecting it.

Its just that you actually need that hardware which most people won't have and won't be willing to buy just to change the screensavers/fonts/whatever on their K3.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #26
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine View Post
I've just emailed kindle-feedback@amazon.com to add my voice to the hundreds of requests that are hopefully being made. The default set of pictures is AWFUL. As someone else has said, at least give us the option of just having the Kindle tree...
I just did it too. I'm sure they hear about this every day. I told them that even a no-screensaver option would suffice.
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #27
longhair
longhair began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I find it highly frustrating. I own many electronic items that have allow basic personalisations by default: I can change the display on my car stereo, on several musical instruments and even on a small radio mic receiver that can barely be seen outside of my personal stage space.

The current screensaver implementation is the sort of thing I'd only see if I wished to put my lovely bought item into demo mode to leave in a shop window. I sometimes like it, but this is my Kindle and I'd like some say in the matter.

And although I hope that some hackers will offer us a nice alternative, it really shouldn't be up to them.

I've seen many threads on this subject, I agree that that if we all personally email Amazon then that might help them to realise what an important feature this is to many of us.
longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #28
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
The screen saver isn't a deal breaker for me, but I'm really hoping to be able to replace that horrible Korean font.
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #29
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I do not find the screensavers "horrendous" or "awful" as some have posted with the exception, perhaps, of Emily Dickinson (not very pleasant to look at). I'm hoping more will be added for variety. I suspect the majority of Kindle customers do not care one way or another.

That said, I can understand those individuals wanting to customize and perhaps Amazon will add the capability in a future update.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 PM   #30
intuitionx2
intuitionx2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindlle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by judith009 View Post
I just did it too. I'm sure they hear about this every day. I told them that even a no-screensaver option would suffice.
To turn off the screen saver no cables etc needed.
in search field type: ;debugon
then press the return key. (still in the search field)
now type: ~disablescreensaver

for a full list of private shortcuts type: ~help

*source: http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...3.new.html#new

I tried the debug and help does pull up 13 commands.
intuitionx2 is offline   Reply With Quote