Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Downloading books to Kindle when not in home country

My K3 has arrived at my UK address, which as far as Amazon is concerned is where I always have things sent and the billing address for the CC I use. My husband is at present there and could bring it to me in Switzerland. The thing is, if my first use of it is outside the UK, will Amazon know and will they mind? Will I still be able to get ebooks from amazon.co.uk?

If the answer is "no", he can leave it there and I can access it when I go there in a couple of weeks. But I'd rather have it now, get used to it and load up with books.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Provided the credit card and manage your Kindle country match, you should be ok (though I have only tested this buying direct from the Kindle, rather than the website).

I bought books directly from a UK registered Kindle with a UK card when I was in Crete on holiday in June and it worked fine, so should work the same in any country which has Whispernet activated.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, suecsi!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Another option is to download any ebooks you purchase to your computer and then your usb cord to transfer to your Kindle. I prefer this method as I tend to use my laptop to peruse Amazon or other ebook sites and like to put all my ebooks into Calibre so that I can have a synopsis of the book, rating and personal tags. Then every couple of weeks I transfer new things to read onto my Kindle.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
No, they are not going to mind. Kindles are meant to travel and there is nothing wrong with buying when you are not officially home.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I do not know how it is in the UK with the new bookstore and all, but when donwloading a book in a country other than the us, with a us account, you'll have to pay some fees for the delivery. So I would check that out
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:00 AM   #7
DMB
Old Git

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've decided to get hubby to bring the Kindle with him so that I can at least try it out here and see what's possible.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #8
ensyed
Enthusiast
ensyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
It is not a problem at all. Just use your pc to buy the book and transfer via USB. I have a US account and travel a lot. I always download to the pc first. P,us I avoid the roaming charge for a direct download.
ensyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #9
DMB
Old Git

I'm quite excited now because I have Kindle on my PC and have downloaded 3 books. The first one, which in essence was a test, was a very cheap version of Fanny Burney's Evelina. I used to have a hardback of it, but don't know where it is now. I last read it over 50 years ago and am enjoying reading the e-version. I love 18th-century literature.