Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
namebrandon
Connoisseur
namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Basic Q - Marking a book as read?

I've been going over the latest generation user manual (waiting along with everyone else for the shipment date!) and I saw that one could make annotations. Is this the only way to mark / flag a book that I've read?

I know it sounds a bit strange, but I plan on loading a good 80-100 books right off the bat, and it may take 15+ months to get through them all. My memory isn't great, and 10 months from now I might forgot that I've already read a book.. Is there anyway to flag the book as read? I suppose I could delete it, but I'd rather not do that.

Do people use collections for this purpose? Perhaps a "Finished/Read" collection?

Any thoughts? Did I just miss a basic explanation in the manual?

Last edited by namebrandon; 08-22-2010 at 08:45 PM.
namebrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by namebrandon View Post
.. Is there anyway to flag the book as read? I suppose I could delete it, but I'd rather not do that.
You can create a "read" column on the main library panel. There is a video telling you exactly how to do it some where. I just can't find it right now.

Click on Preferences then Interface. Down at the bottom click on th "+" in the top box enter "read", in the next box type "Read". Select yes/no as the column type. Click OK, OK and restart Calibre. The read column will be on the far right. Move it to where you want it and can see it by dragging it into position.

Double click the "Read" column at the book you want to mark and a drop down menu will let you select yes or no. You can then use the "read" as a search argument.

Hope this helps - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
namebrandon
Connoisseur
namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.

Great, thanks! I can see that being useful in Calibre, but does that column/attribute come over onto the kindle as well?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by namebrandon View Post
Great, thanks! I can see that being useful in Calibre, but does that column/attribute come over onto the kindle as well?
No it does not translate over onto the Kindle unless I've missed something.

I make a Read collection folder on my Kindle and simply move each book into there when I'm done. If I haven't made any notes in the book I might just delete it from the device completely.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Im getting my first Kindle in the next week, but have been using Sony readers for ages now.
When I finish books I bookmark the front cover and add a note to it giving me the date I read it and its rating. Helps me keep track of what I have read and what I thought of it, and I can see it immediately upon opening the book
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
namebrandon
Connoisseur

Thanks everyone! I liked that change in Calibre, too bad it doesn't come over on the Kindle. I suppose 'Collections' were Amazon's solution to this, and other organizational issues.

I wish they would add a TiVo-like "Do you want to mark this book as read" after you turn the last page. (TiVo asks you if you want to delete the show after it finishes).

Oh well, at least the functionality exists, so I can't really complain!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Archiving

You can archive read books so they will not appear on your Kindle at all. They will be in your Amazon library if you want to read them again.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
You can archive read books so they will not appear on your Kindle at all. They will be in your Amazon library if you want to read them again.
Only if you've bought the book from Amazon. Doesn't work with self-loaded content.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I usually just 'remove the book from this device'. It stays on my Amazon account, and if I want to re-read it, I can download it any time I want.

If you get your books elsewhere, I don't know how it would work.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
namebrandon
Connoisseur

Thanks! I don't plan on getting the 3G Kindle since my approach is more of an iTunes kind of way, you load up the books initially at home and use what you've got. WiFi is nice to have, but even that's not necessary for my uses.

Unfortunately that kind of approach doesn't lend itself to deleting the books, since I may want to read one again, and I have no idea when the mood will strike (and I may not be near WiFi or my PC).

Right now I've just been amassing free books in .lit/.prc/.mobi format with Calibre so I can shuttle them over via USB once the device arrives. I don't plan on purchasing much from Amazon, at least not initially.

It looks like collections will have to do at this point, but I appreciate all of the input!