Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
wildchild06241
wildchild06241 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 I
Kindle Hacks

Back in December when I got my Kindle2I I downloaded a screen saver hack and some font hacks. Now I can not update the software to the new versions. I do not remember where I got the hacks and Amazon will not help me remove them. A Reset to Factory defaults does not override the hack. Does anyone know how I will ever be able to update my kindle? Is there a all hack removal tool or something of that sort?
wildchild06241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
You have to use the uninstall.bin from the website you found the font/screensaver hack at.... if you give me a moment I'll try to find the link to the font hack site....
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
There were uninstalls included with both the screensaver and font hacks, at least the versions I got. One at a time. You should just copy the uninstall bin file to the root directory and Menu | Setting | Menu | Upate Your Kindle. If you copy the bin file to the right place the Update option should be available. Then do the same with the 2.5.2 bin file.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I can't remember is there is more than one font hack floating around or not. The uninstall bin for the one I'm familiar with can be found here...

https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati...kindlev23fonts
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
What software version do you currently have? (What's displayed at the bottom of the screen when you got to Home > Menu > Settings?
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
burkyii
burkyii
burkyii began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild06241 View Post
Back in December when I got my Kindle2I I downloaded a screen saver hack and some font hacks. Now I can not update the software to the new versions. I do not remember where I got the hacks and Amazon will not help me remove them. A Reset to Factory defaults does not override the hack. Does anyone know how I will ever be able to update my kindle? Is there a all hack removal tool or something of that sort?
I had a similar problem with my Kindle DX, but had good luck with the Amazon Kindle Technical team who assisted me in finding the uninstall program. Since I bought this Kindle used and had reset to factory presets, I had no idea of what screensaver was used and made my updating impossible. They suggested that it was a program called SSDX. I did a search on the internet and found both the program an the uninstall for it. I followed their instructions for the uninstall, and viola the update 2.52 was then successfully loaded. Since the program I mentioned is apparently only for the DX, you might have to do a search for all SS for the Kindle. If there are more than one, try the uninstalls in sequence until you find one that fixes the problem. Hope this helps. Aloha, Burky
burkyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
wildchild06241

I'm stuck at 2.3. I have no clue where I got the hacks. I saved the folder for the screensaver hack and have removed it using the uninstall file. There are so many hacks out there now. How will I ever find out what I installed?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
wildchild06241

I don't know which uninstall finally worked but I'm now at 2.5.3! Hurray!!!!