Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #31
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowhappy View Post
Mildly off topic, but this series was made into a Showtime series simply titled "Dexter". I love the tv series and wanted to read the books, but according to Amazon reviews, the books are not up to par, go figure

My apologizes for being off topic please don't flag me!
Having seen the Dexter TV series first, I thought I might be disappointed.
The books are just a little different. I thought quite good. Maybe the bad book review came from TV watchers that can't really read "gud" d'oh
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #32
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Having seen the Dexter TV series first, I thought I might be disappointed.
The books are just a little different. I thought quite good. Maybe the bad book review came from TV watchers that can't really read "gud" d'oh
I don't know. I saw the TV series first as well and really enjoyed it. I've read all the books so far, and they're pretty mediocre. The TV series has well-written, fully developed stories and characters that actually change and grow over time, and the books don't. Reading the first book after watching the first season of the show feels like you're getting a cliff notes version of the basicly the same story, except not as good. The second book is rather forgetable, and then the third book takes weird supernatural turn that doesn't make any sense.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #33
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I recommend BEAT THE REAPER by Josh Bazell about a hit man turned medical intern who's still a badass, then his past catches up to him. Terrific voice.

I also enjoyed THE LOCK ARTIST by Steve Hamilton, about a safe cracker, psychologically mute from a childhood trauma.
L.J.
[Promotional link deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-26-2012 at 06:48 AM.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #34
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Patricia Highsmith's Tom Ripley series, with the amazing "The Talented Mr. Ripley" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Talented_Mr._Ripley) as its first appearance.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #35
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
I don't know. I saw the TV series first as well and really enjoyed it. I've read all the books so far, and they're pretty mediocre. The TV series has well-written, fully developed stories and characters that actually change and grow over time, and the books don't. Reading the first book after watching the first season of the show feels like you're getting a cliff notes version of the basicly the same story, except not as good. The second book is rather forgetable, and then the third book takes weird supernatural turn that doesn't make any sense.
I only read the first novel, and I agree with you whole-heartedly. Sometimes someone has a good story and finds someone with a good voice to tell it. That's what I like to think happened here. The Dexter idea is brilliant, the books not so much, the teevee show takes the best parts of the original idea and creates a satisfying narrative. I also think the series was right not to kill off a main (and interesting) character at the end of the first story - unlike the novel.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #36
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
In the romantic suspense line, Anne Stuart writes great morally ambiguous heroes. One of the best is in her book "Ritual Sins".

http://thebestreviews.com/review11971
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #37
Denny_
Denny_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
One I forgot to mention when I started this thread was Barry Eisler whose main character is John Rain, an assassin.

Denny
Denny_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #38
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.
Most of protagonists are villains
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #39
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
... I also think the series was right not to kill off a main (and interesting) character at the end of the first story - unlike the novel.
No spoiler alert?
Not that I was particuliarly inclined to read the book after reading the couple comments here, but still...
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #40
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
No spoiler alert?
Not that I was particuliarly inclined to read the book after reading the couple comments here, but still...
I watched the first TV series and read the 1st book and it is so rememberable that I forgot which character he was spoiling.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:57 AM   #41
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Serge Storms (Tim Dorsey) the the crazed psychopath you gotta root for even as he maims, totures and kills his way across Florida
Carl Hiaasen has a few varied anti-hero types.
John Keller (hitman) by Lawrence Block

Last edited by speakingtohe; 06-07-2010 at 03:00 AM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote