Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > IMP

Notices

Old 12-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
mad4rombks
mad4rombks began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise 1150
Converting help?

I recently bought an eBookwise and have noticed a problem with most of the recent books I've converted. All my e-books are PDF files so I convert them to a .doc file. Looking at it on the computer, it looks fine, but when I use the ebookwise Librarian and upload the book to the reader, certain words are missing. For example, the book I finished reading 2 days ago had "New Orleans" missing throughout the book. All I got was a blank space where it's supposed to be. Then the book I was reading yesterday, by another author, had the hero's name missing throughout it. I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. Can someone help me please?
mad4rombks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I would suggest is downloading Book Designer. BD will output books in IMP format for the EBookwise. Take a look at some of the IMP file in the e-book section and see if they are to your liking. if so, then BD is for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4rombks View Post
I recently bought an eBookwise and have noticed a problem with most of the recent books I've converted. All my e-books are PDF files so I convert them to a .doc file. Looking at it on the computer, it looks fine, but when I use the ebookwise Librarian and upload the book to the reader, certain words are missing. For example, the book I finished reading 2 days ago had "New Orleans" missing throughout the book. All I got was a blank space where it's supposed to be. Then the book I was reading yesterday, by another author, had the hero's name missing throughout it. I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. Can someone help me please?
It's possible pdf's have embedded characters that do not translate well to imp. Try extracting to text, and making a rtf and converting from there, and check the imp book with the free previewer.

The other solution is to make image imp's with BookDesigner as above, but those are big and usually they can be avoided with a bit of care.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:56 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4rombks View Post
Try eBook publisher to make your books. It builds an intermediate HTML file that we can look at to find out what is wrong. It is a free download from ETI. Actually ebookwise librarian also builds and intermediate file but then erases it. I am not sure how to make it stay around.

eBook publisher gives you the best control over content of any choice out there. ETI support

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
PDFs are notoriously difficult to convert to other formats. The Book Designer program preserves the formatting of the PDF well but, as mentioned above, there may be characters that cannot be converted. When I feed Book Designer PDF files, I sometimes get question mark characters instead of letters in the middle of a word.

I agree with Liviu_5 above that your best option is to convert the PDF to a text file (giving up italics and bold text) and then convert to IMP. Instead of using the Adobe reader to do the converting, I prefer the "Free PDF Text Reader" available here: http://www.ctdeveloping.com/ctdevelo...eader_info.asp

This program preserves the layout of the PDF better than Adobe.
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
WeirdBeard
WeirdBeard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, eBookwise-1150, Palm
Where do you get the Book Designer program?
WeirdBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdBeard View Post
Check the wiki (see wiki link at the top of the page). There are instructions and links to the program. You need the base program and the final update.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdBeard View Post
Book Designer (red the entire thread)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786

Book Cleaner (read the entire thread)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote