Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Sony PRS300/PRS600 available for pre-order

Well, from rumor to availability. Sony's newest eBook reading devices are now available for pre-order at J&R.

The Sony PRS-300 is priced at $199:

http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_PRS300RC/

The Sony PRS-600 is priced at $299:

http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_PRS600SC/

Some interesting items found in the information for these devices.

For the PRS-300:
  • USB 2.0 Data and power connection
  • Intuitive eBook Library software for PC and Mac
  • 512MB of onboard Memory lets you carry up to 350 of your favorite books at a time.

For the PRS-600
  • Touchscreen navigation
  • Freehand highlighting and annotation
  • Built-in Oxford American English eDictionary
  • Intuitive eBook Library software for PC & Mac
  • 512MB of onboard Memory

Available accessories for both units include a car charger for $29 and a cover w/light for $54.

Interestingly there is no mention of any memory card slot on either device. Of course, that doesn't mean neither has them.

The file formats on both appear to be the same as the current PRS505/700 including BBeB (lrf/lrx), ePub and PDF with and without Adobe DRM, rtf and txt files. Still no html support.

Finally there is no mention of expected ship dates. Just a "notify me when available" button.

Get your orders in now.

Thanks to member komugi for this find. There's plenty of discussion on these devices found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52303

UPDATE 8/2 18:00 EDT.... apparently J&R has pulled these pre-order pages down. I assume this means they jumped the gun however it does show that Sony is very close to announcing these rumored devices.

Last edited by pilotbob; 08-02-2009 at 06:18 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also see that the PRS505 price now shows as $279 on the Sony Style store now. I'm not sure if that is new and if they are clearing them out. However, it looks to many that the 600 is replacing both the 505 and 700. But, we have no confirmation of that yet.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...0&N=4294965993

BOb
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I also see that the PRS505 price now shows as $279 on the Sony Style store now. I'm not sure if that is new and if they are clearing them out. However, it looks to many that the 600 is replacing both the 505 and 700. But, we have no confirmation of that yet.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...0&N=4294965993

BOb
$20.00 off (10%) isn't much of a clearance sale.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
$20.00 off (10%) isn't much of a clearance sale.
Agreed.

BOb
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
boylec
boylec began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Just preordered the 600 + cover.

I'll post a review and pics as soon as I receive it, although I'm sure there will be a flood of user reviews all at the same time.

I tried to buy a 505 right when they were discontinued, I'm glad I didn't get one right before these were released.

Now we wait. Argh!
boylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Notice they say "Quick page turns and high contrast ratio ". Wonder of they've speeded up the page changes.

I'll be interested in the form factor on the 300. They advertised it as fitting conveniently in jacket pocket or purse. Also want to see the resolution on the 600.

Really like the increased memory. 350 books is cool.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I have a feeling that it is a mistake that this website already has them up, considering Sony hasn't even officially announced them yet. But hey, it's still cool!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
how good is the pdf support on these sonys?

second question will this turn pages as fast as the kindle2? processor?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Like lilac_jive has already mentioned, not sure if this is all real or not but I'm surprised no one has jumped all over the $199 price point for the 300 since that seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of folks or the supposed dictionary included with the 700. Hopefully without the light, the contrast of the 700 will be close to the current 505 and without the reflectiveness of the 700.

Seems to be two big things that forum goers wanted. If the posted information is correct, Sony is listening?

I read that currently the 505 and the 700 has some problems with epubs, such as the size of it and having jagged rights. I don't know too much about the problem, but is it a problem with epubs or software related? If it's software related, I hope they were addressed and fixed.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
boylec
boylec began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
All I really wanted was the ability to write my own notes in on books and texts.

Now I just am hoping that with the removal of the side LEDs the screen has improved form the 700.
boylec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
AFAIR last time PRS-505 was leaked by jr.com as well.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
AFAIR last time PRS-505 was leaked by jr.com as well.
Really? If so then I'm pretty comfortable in thinking this is the real price point.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Hm, I remembered wrong, it was Abt.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Do these guys ship internationally? How quickly can I get this new PRS-600 ? And I'm guessing it comes with the new ADE that has support for full justification and hyphenation.

I just hope they learned from the PRS-700 shiny screen debacle how not to make a screen. Hm... now that I think about it, maybe I should wait for a few reviews from trusted MR members.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
And I'm guessing it comes with the new ADE that has support for full justification and hyphenation.
The current mobile ADE includes full justification, but not hyphenation.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote