Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
What is the encryption method used by eReader?

Is it DES or Triple-DES?

Basically, I'm asking because I'd like to just *remove* the DRM from my purchased-at-eReader ebooks yet leave them in the .pdb file format rather than strip them to HTML. IOW, do to my eReader ebooks what MobiDeDRM does to my Fictionwise Mobipocket ebooks. I don't want to have to convert them from HTML to mobi or whatever as my Cybook will read .pdb ebooks just fine if there's no DRM on them.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Are you sure it'll read non DRM eReader books? I have my doubts, personally I have a 505 so you may well be right, just there are loads of formats in pdb extensions.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
Are you sure it'll read non DRM eReader books? I have my doubts, personally I have a 505 so you may well be right, just there are loads of formats in pdb extensions.
While you are right that there are a lot of formats with the .pdb extension (see PDB), in this case, ereader .pdb IS one of those formats alone i.e. eReader = "PNPdPPrs" signature .pdb files.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Is it DES or Triple-DES?
I don't know... but if you find ereader2html.py script on the net you can look at the code and see how it decrypts the file.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't know... but if you find ereader2html.py script on the net you can look at the code and see how it decrypts the file.

BOb
And you could also make a new version that will go eReader to HTML for DRM free eReader files too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And you could also make a new version that will go eReader to HTML for DRM free eReader files too.

Ummm... So when I *finally* dust off my l337 Delphi programming skillz, I should re-create ereader2html.py as a standalone executable *with* the option to just strip the DRM from the .pdb eReader ebook? Got it.

Derek
Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 AM   #7
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
Ummm... So when I *finally* dust off my l337 Delphi programming skillz, I should re-create ereader2html.py as a standalone executable *with* the option to just strip the DRM from the .pdb eReader ebook? Got it.

Derek
YES!!! Has it happened? I'm waiting for that unsecured .pdb output
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Derek
Isn't the development of a tool to remove DRM a specific crime under the DMCA in the USA? Might be "safer" to let someone outside the US do it, who won't be committing a crime by doing so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thianliongpatpoh View Post
YES!!! Has it happened? I'm waiting for that unsecured .pdb output
For a very simple DRM-free eReader .pdb to .html conversion tool, see this post. It uses the Perl CPAN module 'EBook-Tools' and is available as a Perl script or windows exectuable.

Despite the name, it has nothing to do with any DRM-stripping Perl script of the same name!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
For a very simple DRM-free eReader .pdb to .html conversion tool, see this post. It uses the Perl CPAN module 'EBook-Tools' and is available as a Perl script or windows exectuable.

Despite the name, it has nothing to do with any DRM-stripping Perl script of the same name!
you misunderstood me. im hoping to ne abe to output unsecured pdb FROM secured pdb. sort of ereader2pdb instead of 2html
Old 02-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
sort of ereader2pdb instead of 2html
Or ereaderdedrm.py.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Or ereaderdedrm.py.

Never heard of it. Do you mean someone should *write* it?

Derek
Old 02-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
nrapallo

Quote:
you misunderstood me. im hoping to ne abe to output unsecured pdb FROM secured pdb. sort of ereader2pdb instead of 2html
OK, to strip the DRM from eReader .pdb and extract to .html is doable.

Now, to convert DRM-free eReader .pdb to .html is also doable.

Then, you would only need to go from .html to DRM-free eReader .pdb using How to Convert an eBook into eReader Format for the iPhone* Using Publish eBook or similar process.

*Obviously, you would substitute 'HTC' for 'iPhone' above.

If this works, then the process may be automated, depending on how many times you need to do this.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
OK, to strip the DRM from eReader .pdb and extract to .html is doable.
Yep, been doing this.

Quote:
Now, to convert DRM-free eReader .pdb to .html is also doable.

Then, you would only need to go from .html to DRM-free eReader .pdb using How to Convert an eBook into eReader Format for the iPhone* Using Publish eBook or similar process.

*Obviously, you would substitute 'HTC' for 'iPhone' above.

If this works, then the process may be automated, depending on how many times you need to do this.
I use an MSWORD macros to convert filename.html (with filename_img folder containing .png). Resulting file is .pdb. The problem is, during exploding secured.pdb to html with ereader2html.py, the resulting .html has 'issues' that when I convert back with the MSWORD macro, correct formatting becomes an issue. I have to manually insert pml scripts/tags in many places to re-create correct formatting. For 1 or 2 .pdb, this would be fine. For dozens of .pdb, it becomes tedious process. Something like ereaderdeDRM.py would be a wonderful solution.
Unfortunately, I know jack S*H%t about PERL/PYTHON and the likes. Programming virgin, so to speak. So... help? Pretty please?

TK
Old 02-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #15
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Or ereaderdedrm.py.
Right on, Wallcraft. And I haven't say my thanks to the wonderful people who gave us ereader2html.py and mobidedrm.py. Kudos!

TK