Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Replacement for Scribd and Oyster Subscription

Okay I read way too many ebooks and lets be honest here they are mostly romance with some sci-fi and fantasy thrown in.
I had a Scribd and Oyster subscription last year which I was super happy with until Oyster closed its doors and Scribd reduced their library and changed it to only 3 books a month!

I was thinking it might be worth it to join an out of area online library? But there seems to be no easy way to search which libraries would be most likely to have the ebooks I want through Overdrive.

So does anyone have any suggestions? My biggest issue seems to be that I read mostly indie/self published stuff and frankly unless its on the best seller list my local library is not likely to have it, let alone have a ebook copy of it!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
JazzyJeff
Enthusiast
JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Have you tried Kindle Unlimited?
JazzyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I was thinking it might be worth it to join an out of area online library? But there seems to be no easy way to search which libraries would be most likely to have the ebooks I want through Overdrive.
Just go to that library's OverDrive website and search the various categories.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:50 AM   #4
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

unavailble

The message I get on most titles is " We can't find this title to buy or borrow in your region."

Did I mention I live on the edge of the middle of nowhere?

Amy
Old 05-29-2016, 01:19 AM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
If you read mostly Indies then libraries are probably out. You have a Kindle Fire and there are Kindle Reading Apps for your IPad, so if you don't mind reading on those give Kindle Unlimited a try. I think there is a months free trial so what do you have to lose? Big 5 and other price inflated ebooks from the library, Indies from KU. Last I looked I think Amazon was still offering a months free trial, so what do you have to lose?
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2016, 01:31 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I was thinking it might be worth it to join an out of area online library?
Quote:
So does anyone have any suggestions? My biggest issue seems to be that I read mostly indie/self published stuff and frankly unless its on the best seller list my local library is not likely to have it, let alone have a ebook copy of it!
The Brooklyn Library comes to mind as one that offers out of area access and has a pretty large selection (92,000+ titles).
http://digitalbooks.brooklynpublicli...en/Default.htm

The problem will come in with the indie/self-pub requirement. There are limited avenues for such authors and publishers to get their stuff into OverDrive's catalog (or at least this was the case last I checked) and even when they do it has to catch the libraries attention as a title they wish to add.

I agree with the others that a KU trial might be right up your alley.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #7
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
My library also offers Freading, which just glancing at looks like it has some different books from Overdrive. Not sure if other libraries offer this or not.
They also offer Open Library. Fair warning, some of these books are not formatted the greatest. But, I guess you get what you pay for.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:31 AM   #8
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
You might also want to look at Hoopla. They offer some romances by smaller publishers and a lot of libraries seem to have it.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #9
sassanik
Guru

Hoopla

I will try Hoopla, thank you all for the suggestions and idea's!

Amy
Old 06-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #10
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I tried Kindle Unlimited and hated it. Almost all of the books are horrid.

I'm back at Scribd. I quit it when they switched to three credits a month because I thought I would be stuck only getting three books a month. But as it turns out, they have a lot of books that are unlimited, and they have a good number of free ones each month that would usually take up a credit, and then you get the three monthly credits. I'm not having any problem at all finding stuff to read. And their selection seems better since they made the change. I am surprised to say that I might like it better, because the selection seems to be improving.

I checked out Hoopla at one point but it did not look interesting to me. I'll watch to see if you like it. Maybe it's improved since then.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas, library, oyster, scridb, suggestions