Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
retroduck
retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: KNT4
Thumbs down Bricked Kindle 4 Non Touch

Hi,

I have a Kindle 4 Non Touch with 4.0.1 software. Just upgraded to having no ads. Was using a Youtube tutorial on adding screensavers, when an option wasn't available for me and I tried to get out of the DIAGS menu and ultimately restarted my device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvbaN-3q6I
There's the video, 5:37 in...I realized it doesn't connect to the SSH connection and many other users are having the same problem. That is when I restarted, thinking it would take me out of DIAGS.

I restarted my kindle using power and home and it shows a distorted half black, half white screen and then it brings it back to the DIAGS menu. You hear the thunk of the UCB disconnecting and reconnecting as I restart it on my PC (Windows 7).

I looked up this debricking method and when I go through the steps, my Kindle is not recognized as a USB/HID Device.

Where do I go from here? I can't run the MfgTool.exe because it does not recognize the USB device as an HID-compliant device. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
retroduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
retroduck
retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'retroduck knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

I'm also letting it charge until I get home from work today. It's been charging since this post yesterday.
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
What procedure did you use to unsuccessfully attempt to get your K4 into USB Downloader mode? Did you use the 5-way pad down arrow as the "magic key"?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
retroduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
What procedure did you use to unsuccessfully attempt to get your K4 into USB Downloader mode? Did you use the 5-way pad down arrow as the "magic key"?
Yes, I used the 5 way pad after the power light went off.

Device shows up as Removable Disk F: under Computer. Under Devices and Printers, it shows up as Amazon Kindle.

Under Device Manager, I still do not show it as a HID option and running MFGTOOL doesn't even give me the option to scan. It says "No ports selected" for any of the three options.

Last edited by retroduck; 01-21-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
retroduck

I understand that the kindle fastboot mode will terminate if the USB port gets disconnected or reset, which happened to me as I was trying to get out of the DIAGS menu and I restarted. I guess the point I am at now is trying to figure out how to get back into that mode.
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
retroduck

Update:

I found a way to get Kindle to recognize it as USB/HID Device by the down button/power button method. I can run MfgTool in fastboot mode and it will give me the green start option. It loads it to the device and then I am supposed to direct my driver update to libusb-win32-bin-1.2.6.0 and I do. It says that it encountered an error with Kindle-fastboot.