Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
damaru
Enthusiast
damaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: kindle
KindleBerry Pi, raspberry pi with a kindle screen!

I wrote an article here :

http://www.ponnuki.net/2012/09/kindleberry-pi/

about using the kindle for the raspberry pi screen - some of the hack/code came from this forum!

thanks!
damaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaru View Post
I wrote an article here :

http://www.ponnuki.net/2012/09/kindleberry-pi/

about using the kindle for the raspberry pi screen - some of the hack/code came from this forum!

thanks!
Saw it on hackaday.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Saw it on hackaday, too, but fun project And nice to see it in a 'final' stage .

If only we had working OTG support, the K4/Touch provides mostly the same (or better) processing power as the Pi, minus the graphics chip .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
nifty. i guess this "screen" trickery could be used with another computer instead of a raspberry pi, to similarly use a terminal on the kindle display controlled from the computer's keyboard. i've been after a way to do that, but first need a terminal that works on k4
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I've seen this before too. on here. isn't this the second thread about this

Yeah it was pretty cool, as was stated though, impractical and in fact a laptop was purchased to "continue working". (why can't you do graphic design on a 6", 4bit screen???) HAHAHH

Hat's off on the combo, but as someone said, and I'll paraphrase "You could pass solids into a box with a Raspberry Pi and someone would blog about it"

So, yeah, cool stuff! Now hookup a LEAP controller and really blow my mind!

EDIT: This version is a much better read than the other one. Nice!

Last edited by twobob; 09-13-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added more obvious sarcasm.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
So, yeah, cool stuff! Now hookup a LEAP controller and really blow my mind!
Now that LEAP controller would be a nice bit of "Hard Tech" for the nerds in the nerd cave to dig into.
When (if) they ever ship one of the devices.

Hmm...
See if you can get an evaluation unit out of them, mmg is looking like a legitimate hardware review site.

(We have an article type "Review" - what else does a web-site need to be, to be an "expert" in this electronic world?)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That would be sweet. I must have filled out their dev application form twice and then neshed it...

Spoiler:
nesh (nɛʃ). —adj. 1. sensitive to the cold. 2. timid or cowardly. [from Old English hnesce; related to Gothic hnasqus tender, soft; of obscure origin]

It's spring 2013 now so plenty of time.

Last edited by twobob; 09-13-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: nesh
Old 09-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You want I should enable "Calendars" to keep track of upcoming events?

Mustn't let the nerd crew think they will run out of projects to be done.

"Spring 2013?"
Hmm...
We should probably schedule a Wake in honor of the passing of the K3 before then.
(and the K4, and the K5, and ...
heck, we could schedule a Wake for the passing of v3.3 if we can find enough drinkers.
It isn't too hard, my buddies and I used to hold a Wake in the honor of every passing payday.)

Last edited by knc1; 09-14-2012 at 02:11 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #9
ppoo
Connoisseur
ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Touch
How can I use laptop's keyboard to run and see the result on Kindle Touch with XTerm?
I know first we must SSH to Kindle, then we only can type command and see result from PuTTY. Is there any way to type command by Keyboard redirect result to Kindle XTerm.
ppoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
Gianni
Gianni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch jb
I would like to use my kindle as a secondary monitor with my ubuntu computer (mostly for using vim inside a terminal).
From the youtube video I can tell that the results are satisfactory, did any of you try this hack on a pc or the vnc based ones?
Can you tell me if the refresh rate is similar?

Thanks in advance.

links for vnc on kindle:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150434
http://wifi001.com/wifi/index.en.jsp
Gianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
twobob

I did try that. never got it running. FWIW. Linux mint Kindle 3.x

Hawhill is a great dev though

so. yeah every chance
Old 09-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
I would like to use my kindle as a secondary monitor with my ubuntu computer (mostly for using vim inside a terminal).
From the youtube video I can tell that the results are satisfactory, did any of you try this hack on a pc or the vnc based ones?
Can you tell me if the refresh rate is similar?

Thanks in advance.

links for vnc on kindle:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150434
http://wifi001.com/wifi/index.en.jsp
In case you're not looking just for Kindle Keyboard, these might help too:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...15#post2190815
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
damaru
Enthusiast
damaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: kindle
no problem there, that's how I started experimenting with this hack before putting it on the raspberry pi

Quote:
damaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
projectdp
projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!projectdp , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3 Wireless (k3w)
Pi k3w, my KindleBerry Pi attempt :D

Hi Damaru, I just wanted to say:

Since I saw your post originally on make magazine's page I've been excited to replicate your success. I love e-Ink displays and my Pi definitely was in need of some command line display action.

I've been writing a big blog post to walk people through the install process in excruciating detail. I hope that you will gain some from my post!

Here's my detailed guide, I hope to be done with it this week:

Pi k3w – Kindle 3 display for Raspberry Pi

Thanks again damaru for the inspiration.

Added top for ya:

projectdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
twobob

Stupid question:

Would aalib for the 3 give you the possibility of emulating a graphics-aware screen

It's available built for the 3 and seeing someone hack together say... aalib quake? would be mighty impressive

just a thought.

http://www.jfedor.org/aaquake2/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAlib

Last edited by twobob; 09-26-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: added refs