Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2007, 05:19 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think they're starting with the US and picking something widespread in the US for now. If they're smart, they'll come out with a WiFi version and then work on some international partnerships. I think it would be insane to try to take this thing global for now and it's not like it's a huge change to swap the networking hardware. Having EVDO doesn't mean that's the only network connection they'll ever have.
But had they made it use EDGE, as Apple did with the iPhone, it would have still worked in the US, but been ready to roll-out internationally (as Apple have now done with the iPhone) without needing to redesign the hardware first.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:34 AM   #47
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
It is not only about brightness of LCD monitors, the source that "produces" this brightness flickers.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 05:43 AM   #48
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
I wonder if anyone's disassembled a Kindle yet? What kind of EVDO module do they use? Hopefully it is a module, and not an integral part of the system board. Wondering if the Kindle would be easily adapted to other modules?
azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:55 AM   #49
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
They use AnyData DTEV module.
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/Jama/4158
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:49 AM   #50
Frangi914
Frangi914 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Hi All:

I am new here and have enjoyed reading all the posts on both the Kindle and Sony PRS-505. I ordered the Kindle twice and than cancelled my order. I found some awesome reviews on YouTube on the Kindle and honestly in my option I feel there is a big flaw with those large forward/backward buttons on the sides - this feature really turned me off and they seem to get in the way of everyone that I've seen reviewing the unit. This was my major reason for cancelling my order. I finally ordered the Sony and I should be receiving it today. I still think the Kindle has a ton of great stuff to offer but for me (being this is my first E-reader) I decided to go with a more basic model. I will most likely purchase the next version of the Kindle after they streamline the look or better yet, just wait for a color E-Reader - keeping my eyes out on the Fujitsu!
Frangi914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #51
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But had they made it use EDGE, as Apple did with the iPhone, it would have still worked in the US, but been ready to roll-out internationally (as Apple have now done with the iPhone) without needing to redesign the hardware first.
Unless they already have Kindle 2.0 designed & are getting it ready to go within the next year and are using the US Amazon site exclusivity, AZW & EVDO on purpose to keep the Kindle in a controlled market while they get things in place with overseas publishers. Due to their pbook business perhaps they feel they can't afford to alienate non US publishers with local rights to books by selling ebooks from US publishers to overseas customers. Are non US publishers big in the ebook market? I know Transworld isn't putting out Steven Erikson's books as ebooks in the UK, but beyond that I haven't really looked to see what non US publishers offer. Maybe they're less convinced that US publishers & Amazon is hoping to use Kindle 1.0 as a way to sell publishing houses in various markets that ebooks have merit. Amazon as a company isn't stupid in general so it would make sense they have reasons for doing Kindle 1.0 the way they did.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-27-2007 at 10:04 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #52
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
It is not only about brightness of LCD monitors, the source that "produces" this brightness flickers.
That is the major cause of eye fatigue for me. It's somewhat better with a quality LCD but the eInk screen is far, far better.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #53
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
They use AnyData DTEV module.
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/Jama/4158
That source is based on the old FCC pictures.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #54
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, here's the line from the log:
Quote:
Nov 20 12:22:46 kernel: wan: AnyDATA DTEV WAN module driver 0.8.4
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 PM   #55
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
I think it was more about who they could partner with in the US for service than a desire to use EVDO over Edge. Apple almost inked a deal with Verizon but it fell apart. If that had happened, it would've been EVDO, too. It seriously is really, really not hard to bring out an EDGE version. Typically the partnership comes first, though, with stuff like this.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #56
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
24" HD LCD Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
HD widescreen 24" LCD Monitors have no noticeable flicker at all. They are like a large white piece of paper. It is the High Definition attribute which does this. Its the same with HD TV's.

The reason for this is the presence of a thin plastic membrane covering the electronics which filters flicker and protects the electronics.

However, that membrane is easily scratched. If one shines a flashlight on a screen turned off, one can spot occasional scratches which are not visible at all when the screen is turned on or off without a flashlight. In addition, if one photographs the screen, one can see the membrane covering the electronics. On the old CRT's and non-HD LCD monitors, one can photograph the screen and will see the flicker but will not see the membrane.

That latter attribute is the down side of HD screens. They cannot be effectively photographed when turned on.

The other problem is that they may have a few missing or frozen pixels. They can be spotted if one examines the screens very carefully. Usually, not more than 1 to 5 are ever present. They usually have no effect on the picture.

All in all HD TV's and / or Monitors have thousand of color variants versus 4 shades of grey on the Kindle and 8 shades of grey on the Sony PRS 505. There is simply no comparison with the HD beating all competition, IMHO. Legibility is better than any printed book, hand held PDA or Ereader. There is NO eye strain if one has the top of the Monitor positioned at eye level.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #57
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Quote:
Thank god they didn't use edge. I have the iphone, and let me tell you data transfer is much slower than on the kindle. It can be downright painful sometimes.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #58
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Basically, I agree with sirmaru that Amazon should be providing standalone files, whether they be in Mobi, ePub, or something else, and leaving it up to the user to plug them into whatever they use. I know that I wouldn't want to be shut out of a huge market of e-books, just because I chose not to buy a Kindle.

That said, I understand why Amazon chose not to do that: Locking the files into the Kindle solves many piracy issues that they, and the publishers, are obviously concerned with (and in fact, I expect that may have been a prerequisite for getting many publishers on-board). It also makes the process drop-dead easy for any Kindle user, and making sure Amazon can sell an easy-to-use device would be key.

We can only hope, as Alisa suggested, that time (and customer demand) will eventually cause Amazon to offer the same books as standalone files... possibly once they realize how large a market they can reach outside of Kindle. Either that, or someone supplies software that will extract the e-books from the Kindle to your hard drive, ready to be read on your PC or ported into another device.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:24 PM   #59
schmidt349
schmidt349 is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
The reason why most conventional displays (CRT, LCD, and any projection apparatus based on these technologies) can cause severe eyestrain is because they flicker, albeit very rapidly (60Hz at a minimum). In a CRT it's a function of the display technology; in an LCD it's the CCFL backlight.

My eyes are especially sensitive -- I can't stare at a computer screen for more than a couple hours at a time. That's why non-refreshing display tech like electrophoretics and cholesteric LCDs are so promising to me.

Of course an HDTV or a high-resolution computer display is going to beat out electrophoretic displays in a great many respects -- but they cause eyestrain a heck of a lot more easily than EPDs, and most people can't really lug an HDTV around with them :-P

It sounds to me like the "MAJOR FLAW" you're seeing in the Kindle is that it isn't what you want it to be and it doesn't have much application for you. In that case, do what you like and good luck.
schmidt349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:30 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
Thank god they didn't use edge. I have the iphone, and let me tell you data transfer is much slower than on the kindle. It can be downright painful sometimes.
I completely accept that EVDO is a much faster wireless technology than EDGE, but eBook files are not large. Does it really matter if it takes 1 minute or 5 minutes to get a new book delivered to your Kindle?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote