Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #46
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
@vlamark

The screen rotate hack is actually included with the GUI Launcher. Since the 6 tabs issue is actually annoying, I was only wondering if a workaround could be included with "GUI launcher".

A simple temporary fix, waiting for something better, could be to enable screen refresh before switching to landscape and to reset it to the previous value when switching back to portrait.

I guess that setting refresh on|off could be done with:

Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.winmgr refreshOnTurn 1|0
I don't know how to get the previous value since it's a write-only property (maybe some file somewhere?).
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #47
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
I don't know how to get the previous value since it's a write-only property (maybe some file somewhere?).
cat /var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/prefs

You can dig inside the com.amazon.kindle.restricted.device.impl.RefreshSe nsitivityServiceImpl class to see how it works in detail, but in short, this is where the preference is stored.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #48
furlow
furlow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I'm not usually the guy to say "RTFM", but RTFM.
There are instructions both on the Wiki, as well as in the downloaded package, and (most probably) in other places as well.

In short: yes, you do need the jailbreak. Then unzip and follow the instructions in the zip file.
That wiki is kinda of useless if you just want the orientation hack without all the other stuff. Plus the Readme file in the zip doesn't explain anything about how to install it when your not in the loop of kindle hacking.

The last part is all that was all that was necessary.
furlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #49
highend
highend began at the beginning.

I'm sorry I have to repeat this but I wasn't able to find a solution up to now:

Somehow I'm unable to get this working...

I've installed the jailbreak before and usbnetworking with the additional sftp server module (all are working fine).

When I put the file update_launcher_1.0_install.bin into the /mnt/us folder (via an sftp connection) and restart the device I get the following error message during the restart:

Software Update
The update was not successful
If you need assistance visit http://www.kindle.com/support.
To resume using your Kindle, press the [Home] button.
UPDATE ERROR: 3

Do I have to put the .bin file in a different directory?

Note: I tried the same (copying to /mnt/us) without restarting the device and went to menu - settings - menu but the "Update Your Kindle" option is greyed out...

Should the folder hierarchy look like this (to get the usbnetworking and orientation entries):

/mnt/us/extensions
/mnt/us/extensions/reader_plugins.xml
/mnt/us/extensions/orientation
/mnt/us/extensions/orientation/config.xml
/mnt/us/extensions/orientation/menu.json

Tia,
highend
highend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #50
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Don't restart the device after putting the bin file there. Instead, use the Settings Menu "update my kindle" (or so).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #51
highend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Don't restart the device after putting the bin file there. Instead, use the Settings Menu "update my kindle" (or so).
I tried that already

See:
Quote:
Note: I tried the same (copying to /mnt/us) without restarting the device and went to menu - settings - menu but the "Update Your Kindle" option is greyed out...
But I just found out that this menu entry is only available (not greyed out) when the KT is connected via the usb cable... So, this problem is solved

I've installed the 5.0.3 update as well (and rooted it with your data.tar.gz file ) but it seems that the orientation switch (tried all variants) isn't working any more.

menu - launcher - orientation - landscape left / right, etc. -> nothing happens.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #52
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
I receive the update error 007 too.

So my story:
- I installed jailbreak -> fine
- installed usbnetwork 1.0 -> fine

but when I tried to install 'update_launcher_1.0_install.bin', it gave me quite the same error message that highend mentioned except it is "update error: 007".

I tried to uninstall it (by putting uninstal bin in the root directory) but no success.
And now I can't even install anything.

The thing that I noticed is that when I put a bin in root directory, then go to update the device, when it prompts for "Do you want to update?" -> it doesn't wait for me hitting "Ok" button!!! It just show the error message!

Can anyone please help?
Thanks
Kindle Touch, My firmware: 5.0.0
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #53
highend

I would try to reset your KT to factory defaults and see if you can start over again.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #54
yosoyeleze
yosoyeleze began at the beginning.

Hello. Anyone know if screen rotation works with the new 5.0.3 firmware? I need to landscape mode!
yosoyeleze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #55
highend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyeleze View Post
Hello. Anyone know if screen rotation works with the new 5.0.3 firmware? I need to landscape mode!
Tried it, but didn't work.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #56
blackjack13
blackjack13 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyeleze View Post
I think recovery to firmware 5.00 ,it's so easier
blackjack13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #57
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by highend View Post
I tried that already

See:

But I just found out that this menu entry is only available (not greyed out) when the KT is connected via the usb cable... So, this problem is solved

I've installed the 5.0.3 update as well (and rooted it with your data.tar.gz file ) but it seems that the orientation switch (tried all variants) isn't working any more.

menu - launcher - orientation - landscape left / right, etc. -> nothing happens.
Both I can NOT confirm. I updated my KT without being connected via USB, probably you have this issue, because you are conneting via SSH only. I told you this in another forum already. It would be the first Kindle needing USB connecting to run updates.

And the orientation is changing on my KT as well. But the pages are not displayed properly, right margin is hiding part of the page.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #58
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
I receive the update error 007 too.

So my story:
- I installed jailbreak -> fine
- installed usbnetwork 1.0 -> fine

but when I tried to install 'update_launcher_1.0_install.bin', it gave me quite the same error message that highend mentioned except it is "update error: 007".

I tried to uninstall it (by putting uninstal bin in the root directory) but no success.
And now I can't even install anything.

The thing that I noticed is that when I put a bin in root directory, then go to update the device, when it prompts for "Do you want to update?" -> it doesn't wait for me hitting "Ok" button!!! It just show the error message!

Can anyone please help?
Thanks
Kindle Touch, My firmware: 5.0.0
ERROR 007 is quite usual for Jailbreak issues, hope YiFanLu agrees ;-), have you tried to run jailbreak again?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:15 AM   #59
highend

Quote:
I updated my KT without being connected via USB, probably you have this issue, because you are conneting via SSH only. I told you this in another forum already. It would be the first Kindle needing USB connecting to run updates.
What different connection method do you suggest (instead of ssh and sftp over shh) if an usb connection is not needed? At least in my case it was the only option to activate the update your kindle menu entry...
Old 01-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #60
diba
Addict

Probably we have a misunderstanding. I connect via USB, shift the update on the Kindle, disconnect and run the update. The "Update your Kindle" is not grayed out. I never had this issue, expect if the wrong file is used.
I understood, that your button is grayed out, even if the file is in the appropriate place.

Obviously a USB connection IS needed. If you run debug mode permanently, there seems to happen at least something, avoiding running the update.

Last edited by diba; 01-18-2012 at 04:40 AM.

Tags
kindle touch hacks